Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on I Don't Know if I Agree...

HUH?

Bale is definitely bleh, and Ledger only went for broke in Brokeback and Dark Knight but to malign the Depp is sacriledge!!!

The man made his debut in "Nightmare on Elm Street" for godsake! THAT IS HARDCORE!!

Posted by michael strangeways | August 21, 2008 3:44 PM

So I'm not the only one who thinks that Johnny One-Note Depp can't act his way out of a paper bag. His greatest performance was as Ed Wood, who fittingly didn't have a personality.

Posted by Fnarf | August 21, 2008 3:49 PM

uh, I just looked at their website...pretentious twaddle complete with cute, kooky pictures of the contributors...gak!

Posted by michael strangeways | August 21, 2008 3:51 PM

I'm with #3. It's a well-put together View Up Own Asses.

Posted by Gully Foyle | August 21, 2008 4:07 PM

Terrible, incoherent, nonsensical article. Also: "Bale and Ledger are part of a tradition of polite actors. They may trash a hotel room or brawl with their moms or model girlfriends; but at worst they’ll destroy their metabolisms with reckless Method-y dieting." ....ummm, or OD on drugs and DIE????

Posted by David | August 21, 2008 4:09 PM

I completely disagree.

And to pick only one point because I don't feel like disassembling their post I'll attack their Bale diagnosis.

"Bale is the hunger artist of his generation. If he’s a draw as an actor, it’s because of the disturbing spectacle of someone punishing himself for public viewing, the extreme regimen that everyone knows he’s willing to undertake for a role. There’s thankfully little else (aside from the recent extortion tussle with his family) that anyone knows about him."

First off, even they noted they're glad he hasn't made spectacle of his privage life. So, hooray agreement on point one. Have a personal life and keep it personal.

But then they essentially refer to him as a gimmick. He's method, man, so that means he's only interesting for the schtick that that entails.

I wholly disagree. That's cool, he's method. Sometimes I think that's weird, but if it produces an awesome product and they're happy then I'm happy.

He's a f'ing awesome actor. He always has been. Have you seen Empire of the Sun? Have you seen the Machinist, which you're linking to but not discussing? Have you seen Velvet Goldmine? Have you seen Little Women? Hell, have you seen Newsies?!

Have you seen his massive fan base that's existed for years?

Sure, the Batman may not be stretching tremendous boundaries in terms of script, but you can't blame Bale for a movie script. And frankly I'm glad he got this plummy role with overexposure because as least he's (hopefully, finally) raking in some money.

As for your good actors?

Well, it's a matter of taste really. I don't get any profound feeling from Morgan Freeman. In fact all I get from him these days is a little lurking creepiness. I don't know why, I just do. Maybe it's that GEM of a movie called, oh yeah The Bucket List.

As for Caine, I concur, he's a keeper. I enjoy him tremendously. But I don't think he's better, just different.

xo

Posted by Nay | August 21, 2008 4:22 PM

Wow.

What a bunch of whiny bloggers.

Maybe they should make their own movie?

Posted by Will in Seattle | August 21, 2008 4:35 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^
As a matter of fact,
Bale could act
When he was as very young,
But someone said, "Feelings
Crack faces like ceilings,"
And the lesson clung.

Ledger (top-flight
In "Brokeback") in "Knight"
Delivers stale stereotype,
The usual mean,
Psychotic queen
Critics all overhype.

Depp is first-class,
His talent's great mass
Overwhelming his physical slightness,
But our sad culture offers
Him scripts from its coffers
With neither depth nor lightness.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posted by Robert Patrick | August 21, 2008 8:37 PM

The blog reminds me of a highly lauded zine (to you youngsters it was what blogs were in the 1990s before the internets). It had a great graphic design but contained the worst drivel ever written.

The Slog might not be pretty but most of it is worth reading.

Posted by elswinger | August 21, 2008 9:07 PM

bullshit. they are naming some of the best actors of our time.
@6: I completely agree... how can they say that someone who can go from dominating a cheesy musical (Newsies) to one of the most depressing movies ever (the Machinist) bland?

Judging by Heath's most recent movies, I think he could have become the next Brando. He didn't have enough time to show everyone all that he could do, so I don't think it's fair to deem him bland either. I think one sign of a great actor is when you have a hard time recognizing his personality in a role. I certainly felt that as I watched Heath portray the Joker.

I wonder what this blog thinks of Daniel Day-Lewis? He is most certainly a method actor. Anyone who doubts his greatness just isn't paying attention.

Posted by citrus | August 21, 2008 10:02 PM

ALSO:

Morgan Freeman? The guy who plays the same character in every fucking movie? He's better than Bale and Ledger?

And what is so wrong with being polite?

Posted by citrus | August 21, 2008 10:08 PM

That's a lot of words just to say they didn't like a bunch of movies, without ever saying why.

Posted by Sirkowski | August 22, 2008 9:45 AM

@12 hahaha Yeah, that too. :)

And, the tremendous list of links on the page? Disgustingly disorganized and pointless. I scrolled for three rolls and rolled my eyes. Too much shallow content kills interest.

Posted by Nay | August 22, 2008 4:42 PM