Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Re: A List Burner Hasn't Made | Where Everyone Has Gone Before »

Monday, July 21, 2008

Footnote: The President of a Major Seattle Arts-Fund Nonprofit Is a Hard-Core Republican

posted by on July 21 at 15:58 PM

In the course of researching my column this week—an elaboration of this Slog post about PONCHO’s director getting canned—I found out that Janet True, president of the board at PONCHO, is a serious W. fan.

According to the Federal Elections Commission, True has donated over $30,000 to Republican campaigns—and $0 to Democratic campaigns—in the last four years. Recent recipients of her largesse include: Bush/Cheney, Mike Huckabee, Dave Reichert, Mike McGavick, and others.

Top recipients of PONCHO’s largesse: Pacific Northwest Ballet, Seattle Symphony, Seattle Opera, the Rep, Intiman, etc.

Not that Republicans can’t do right by the arts. But it is a little surprising that the president of one of the most influential arts-funding boards in the city is a Bush supporter.

“Well, yes, I am a Republican,” True said when I asked her about the donations. “But the rest of my family more than makes up for it for the other side.”

RSS icon Comments

I have here in my hand a list of 205—a list of names that were made known to the Federal Elections Commission as being members of the Republican Party and who nevertheless are still working and shaping policy in the PONCHO.

Posted by 1 | July 21, 2008 4:12 PM

PONCHO full of Republicans? Quel horreur!

Posted by NapoleonXIV | July 21, 2008 4:28 PM

PONCHO is still around? I don't mean that in a snarky way - I just hadn't heard anything about them in a long time. But then again, I don't get out much.

Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay | July 21, 2008 4:42 PM

Not surprised.

People on the boards of high dollar charities are there because they either have money, or are well connected to people who have money. People with that kind of money are more likely to be republican. The well healed social progressive sometimes vote with their pocketbook, not their conscience. Her $30,000 donation is protecting her tax bracket.

Posted by Reverse Polarity | July 21, 2008 4:58 PM

"...more than makes up for it for the other side.” "That side whose name cannot be spoken, without my tongue burning in my mouth,"she added.

Posted by snarky | July 21, 2008 7:35 PM

Art is a commodity--that's part of the charm for rich Republitards like True.

Posted by delfina jones | July 21, 2008 9:18 PM

blah, blah, blah.

The interesting story is not that rich people are both republicans and arts philanthropists. That is not a real shocker. What you fail to mention that Janet True is also Chair of the Seattle Rep board at the same time as being the PONCHO President. Your real story should be about the interconnected gene pool that is the non profit boards of Seattle.

Posted by actual Size | July 22, 2008 11:00 PM