Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Apropos of Sunday Afternoon | Happy Rafting! (Ignore the Cor... »

Monday, July 7, 2008

The Morning News

posted by on July 7 at 6:43 AM

The Forgotten War: 40 dead and at least 140 injured after a suicide bombing at the Indian Embassy in Kabul.

Under the Knife: Senate Republicans are feeling heat from the American Medical Association over a 10.6% cut in Medicare.

Black Gold, Texas Tea: American pension funds are benefiting from record oil prices. Meanwhile, high gas prices (average price in Washington $4.35/gallon, according to AAA) are sending some suburbanites back to the city.

Exit Strategies: Despite the Bush administration’s refusal to set a timetable for withdrawal, the Iraqi government may soon demand one.

It Doesn’t Take One to Know One: President Bush thinks Russia’s new president Dimitri A. Medvedev is a “smart guy.”

Come For the Politics, Stay For the Spectacle: Barack Obama will give his convention speech at the 75,000 seat INVESCO Field at Mile High (also known as the place where the Denver Broncos play).

Battles With Nature: As wildfires make their annual visit to California, tropical storm Bertha has officially graduated to hurricane status in the Atlantic.

One DMV Under God: Christians in South Carolina will soon be able to promote their Godly ways via a state-issued license plate.

Trolley Folly: As ideas for expanding the system are kicked around, city officials can’t quite figure out how people feel about the S.L.U.T.

Our “Green” Government: While environmentalists fight runoff pollution in court, state and local governments are on the side of developers.

Sporting News: Nadal defeated Federer; Mariners catcher Jamie Burke took the mound in a 15-inning loss to the Tigers; 41-year-old swimmer Dara Torres set a new American record in the 50-meter freestyle; and Alex Rodriguez is getting divorced.

Finally: After 14 years, this is my final week at The Stranger. In honor of the occasion, I’ll be looking back at some of my bad writing, bad judgments, and outright fuck-ups over the years.

Installment #1 is a doozy from our “Month of Sundays” package, described in our annual Regrets issue:

In the June 14 issue of The Stranger, in the feature package “A Month of Sundays,” managing editor Bradley Steinbacher wrote that Seattle’s O’Dea High School is a Jesuit institution. It is not. Compounding the error, Mr. Steinbacher is himself a graduate of O’Dea High School, leaving many—including his parents—to wonder whether he actually learned anything during grades 10 to 12. Mr. Steinbacher regrets the error.

Man, that one left a mark.

RSS icon Comments

You're leaving?! Oh my. Best of luck!

Posted by Mr. Poe | July 7, 2008 8:16 AM

Good luck, Bradley. I used to see your name on the masthead every week and thank Christ that there was some good German law-and-order on staff, trying to oversee the mess that is The Stranger. Now we'll just have the left-hand side of Herr Spangenthal-Lee.

Just curious -- where ya goin'?

Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball | July 7, 2008 8:24 AM

RE: gas prices affecting housing choices.

So you mean that all these people that were formerly buying McMansions out in boonie north king county are now gonna be buying up precious city living space and pricing me out of somewhere I actually want to live? damn...

Posted by dbell | July 7, 2008 8:27 AM

by far, your worst year was 2000.

Posted by chet | July 7, 2008 8:28 AM

@2,

That's the corniest thing I've ever read.

Posted by The Incredible Husk | July 7, 2008 8:38 AM

@5 -- Hooray! I have an official barnacle! I've finally arrived in the Slog elite.

And ya know what -- that sentence I just wrote is THE CORNIEST THING I'VE EVER READ!

Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball | July 7, 2008 8:43 AM

We know The Incredible Husk is you Jubilation.

Posted by someone | July 7, 2008 8:45 AM

Run! Run Bradley, and never look back... Lest you be turned into a pillar of salt.

And after that reference, maybe I need me one of them there South Carolina license plates.

Posted by UNPAID BLOGGER | July 7, 2008 8:45 AM

@6,

That's the corniest thing I've ever read.

Posted by The Incredible Husk | July 7, 2008 8:46 AM

Oh, Patch. I am gonna miss your byline. And your colossal blunders.

Posted by kerri harrop | July 7, 2008 8:51 AM

Bradley, good luck on your new pursuits.

There was an interesting opinion piece in the LA Times yesterday that countered the higher prices people fleeing the suburbs theory:

Posted by PopTart | July 7, 2008 9:07 AM

Most decent Republicans do not approve of MediCare cuts.

Posted by raindrop | July 7, 2008 9:12 AM

Re: South Carolina license plates
My home state of Indiana went down that path a while ago. Not so blatant as SC's, but still a bit too much for me. http://www.in.gov/bmv/3999.htm
I know its' the country's motto, but I guess I'm not a big fan of the motto in the first place.

Posted by kurt | July 7, 2008 9:16 AM

It's Dana Torres, not Torress.

Posted by UnoriginalAndrew | July 7, 2008 9:18 AM

@11: Thanks for the link. That said, the guy is using Southern California as his major counterexample -- even though Southern California is pretty much a counterexample to EVERYTHING. Convenient.

Posted by mackro mackro | July 7, 2008 9:22 AM

Are the religious license plates being made by born again prisoners?

Posted by Dalton | July 7, 2008 9:22 AM

Re: suburbs:

(1) Good luck getting 3m people inside the city borders.

(2) For the umpteenth time, it's about the JOBS. If the businesses are in Bellevue, it's OK for the housing to be in Bellevue. Kent has more local employment than Magnolia.

Posted by Big Sven | July 7, 2008 9:29 AM

@17 Your second point is part of what the LA Times guy is saying, that in a lot of metropolitan areas the jobs are in the suburbs.

Why is it OK to complain so much about the suburbs and the people living in the suburbs commuting to Seattle, when there are an awful lot of people who live in Seattle and commute to the suburbs for jobs at places like Microsoft and Google?

As far as I can tell 520 is pretty nasty in both directions in the mornings. What makes the commutes of those from Seattle to the Eastside more OK than the reverse?

Posted by PopTart | July 7, 2008 9:48 AM

I didn't know anybody thought commuting out of the city was OK. I always thought a billion dollar bribe to get Microsoft to move their operation into the city would be cheaper than five billion to expand the bridge. That's just me.

The existence of jobs in the suburbs is important, but It's not the whole story. Places like Kent are very low density, lacking walkability, so people have to drive a 5 leg trip to run 5 errands, running from one huge parking lot to another.

Posted by elenchos | July 7, 2008 10:03 AM

Don't talk to me about Kent. I've been down there three times this month already picking up stuff. It's hell on freaking earth, is what it is. Huge parking lots are only part of the story; it's also that every street is a mile-wide boulevard, and the buildings are spaced at mile intervals along them -- except for the wetlands and fragile slopes, which are being ground up for new houses as fast as possible, even now.

You will be missed, Mr. Steinbacher.

Posted by Fnarf | July 7, 2008 10:37 AM

Oh, I forgot. Good luck Bradley!

Posted by elenchos | July 7, 2008 10:44 AM

R.I.P. "A. Birch Steen" then, eh? wherever where they find a new ombudsman???

Posted by jezbian | July 7, 2008 11:07 AM

-where +will, natch

Posted by jezbian | July 7, 2008 11:13 AM

@18 - I've never heard anyone say it was OK to live in the city and commute to the 'burbs. I think it's more that fewer people complain about folks commuting out of the city. The suburbanites driving in to town every day are an easier target because suburban living is so much more inefficient than city living.

Good luck in your future endeavors, Mr. Steinbacher!

Posted by Hernandez | July 7, 2008 11:18 AM

Mr. Steinbacher, you will indeed be missed.  I look forward to more of your departing self-flagellation, though.

Best wishes for whatever is next.

Posted by lostboy | July 7, 2008 11:18 AM

@22, no kidding, Bradley is A. Birch Steen?  I'd always suspected it was Dan.

Birch Steen, Bradley Steinbacher, I guess I should have figured.  Maybe someday this will make my own list of public embarrassments.

Posted by lostboy | July 7, 2008 11:29 AM

@26: it's actually an anagram of his name. write it out and have some fun!

Posted by jezbian | July 7, 2008 11:36 AM

Best wishes Brad. Among other things, sports lovers on Slog take a tough loss.

Posted by Lloyd Clydesdale | July 7, 2008 11:40 AM

Many thanks Poe, Cornball, Unpaid, PopTart, Fnarf, Elenchos, lostboy, Hernandez, and Lloyd!

Unorginal Andrew: Thanks for the heads-up on the typo. I fixed it in the post.

Kerri: Love ya!

Jezbian: I'm sure that old bastard will still be around.

And chet: Don't forget about '01. Man, I was shitty that year.

Posted by Bradley Steinbacher | July 7, 2008 11:50 AM

jezbian @27, jeez even when I get it, I don't get it.

Aren't anagrams the oldest pseudonym trick in the book?  How did I ever miss that?  I should be embarrassed to ever publicly scrutinize anyone's writing again.

Not that that'll stop me, of course.

Posted by lostboy | July 7, 2008 12:24 PM

Blot soy, slob toy.

Posted by Fnarf | July 7, 2008 12:46 PM

Soy blotting is a time-honored family pastime, as is being a being a licking post for friendly dogs, and I'll not have you denigrate either, you Fran... Far... N... F... something, you... you far enuf, you!

Posted by slobtoy | July 7, 2008 1:02 PM

Hoy hoy, I'm the boy!

Posted by Cookie W. Monster | July 7, 2008 1:24 PM

Fnarf,

Have you ever met anybody famous, like Fran Liebowitz, Fran Drescher, or Kukla, Fran & Ollie?

Posted by Jeff Stevens | July 7, 2008 1:33 PM

None of those, but Iggy Pop has been in my house.

Posted by Fnarf | July 7, 2008 3:10 PM