Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Re: Re: Submitted for Jen's Ap... | Dear God »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Robin Williams Crashes Laff Hole

posted by on July 17 at 14:10 PM

Last night, at approximately 10 pm, approximately 100 people simultaneously texted me the precise location of Robin Williams: Laff Hole, Re-bar, sitting in the back. So I went. There he was.

williams3.jpg
Photos by Christopher Frizzelle.

Old Man Williams sat through the show, laughed a little at some things and laughed a lot at others, including Face Off, the Laff Hole version of a staring contest: Two comics stand toe to toe and try to make each other laugh with short phrases. The first one to laugh or break eye contact loses. From last night’s Face Off, between a man and a woman whose names I didn’t catch:

Man: “Gestapo casual Friday sweater.”
Woman: “Short bus orgy.”

Old Man Williams loved “short bus orgy.” Loved it. Clapped, shouted, quoted it later in the evening.

Then:

Man: [Makes the cunnilingus, tongue-between-fingers gesture]
Woman: In your dreams.
Man: I’ve had nightmares.

The woman broke. The man won.

The last comic of the evening was Ross Parson, a sad-sack comedian whose best joke is: “Stuttering only helps beat-boxers.” It was his 21st birthday and, just before his set, Old Man Williams jumped on stage to sing him happy birthday and talk for awhile.

williams4.jpg

It was precisely what you’d expect: manic riffing, jumping between characters (the Angry Scotsman, the Sibilant Gay Man), jokes about anal sex and Seattle (“it’s like San Francisco, but without as much money”). He showed off his calves. He grabbed his tail.

williams5.jpg

“Comedy is born—and aborted—in rooms like this!” Old Man Williams shouted. People went bananas. He went bananas.

williams8.jpg

The People’s Republic of Komedy sent a dictate this morning saying Old Man Williams might return to do a longer set in the coming weeks but didn’t explain why he showed up in the first place. Just passing through? Scouting for talent? Or scouting for jokes?

He does have a reputation as a joke rustler. (Radar wrote about it last year.) So if you hear “short bus orgy” in Patch Adams II, you’ll know where it came from.

More photos after the jump.

williams6.jpg

He complimented the comic preceding him: “If Angelina Jolie hadn’t had a child she’d look like this. And she’d adopt all you fuckers.”

williams9.jpg

williams1.jpg

williams2.jpg

Solomon Georgio, winner of last year’s Stranger Gong Show, at Laff Hole last night:

williams7.jpg

RSS icon Comments

I heard from a source working for him that he's in town for several weeks working on a movie... something dark, maybe titled "Bad Daddy." Eew.

Posted by Amy Kate Horn | July 17, 2008 2:25 PM

According to the PI he is in town with Bobcat Goldwait shooting what sounds like a tremendously unfunny movie where he plays a character who's son dies in a masturbation accident and he fakes a suicide note to cover up the embarrassing truth--hilarious!

As they say, shit's in the PI.

Posted by Westside forever | July 17, 2008 2:27 PM

Did anybody see him on Whose Line with Wayne Brady a few years back? It was MAGICAL.

Posted by Greg | July 17, 2008 2:30 PM

SLOG ought to institute some kind of limit for how many lines an entry can take on the main page, or how many images can be included in one. This shit is at least 1/4 of SLOG right now.

Posted by Matt from Denver | July 17, 2008 2:32 PM

Star Fuckers.

Maybe he's in a town for a Herpes Benefit...

Posted by michael strangeways | July 17, 2008 2:36 PM

isn't the film titled "world's greatest dad"? it's not about wrestling or undercover cops, though.

Posted by infrequent | July 17, 2008 2:42 PM

Yes, he is in town shooting a movie, they have been shooting at a school in Wallingford and will be in Seattle for 25 days!

Posted by NikT22 | July 17, 2008 2:46 PM

Though to be honest, I'm totally putting on my resume that Robin Williams and I have shared the same stage...just not at the same time...

Posted by michael strangeways | July 17, 2008 2:47 PM

Face Off is pretty solid. I've seen one Laff Hole show (their last at CHCAC) and Face Off was definitely the highlight. That and the rats crawling on the rafters.

Posted by w7ngman | July 17, 2008 2:55 PM

I hope i am not alive/conscious if i am ever in a theatre while Patch Adams II is showing regardless if the line "short bus orgy" is used.

Posted by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot | July 17, 2008 3:00 PM

Is it weird that he seems to have shaved his arms? Is it weird that I noticed that?

Posted by skweetis | July 17, 2008 3:04 PM

His arms are shaved because he recently played Barbara Bush in Oliver Stone's production of W, the George W Bush biopic...

Posted by michael strangeways | July 17, 2008 3:08 PM

thanks @1 and @2.

Posted by Will in Seattle | July 17, 2008 3:11 PM

@4 - it's called a spill, and the way editors get back at us is NOT to use it, just to stick it in our face in a passive agressive kind of way.

Posted by Will in Seattle | July 17, 2008 3:13 PM

Ross Parsons is hilarious, with a capital "hilare". He's never not made me laugh.

-j

Posted by a kid | July 17, 2008 3:34 PM

Chris you and your calves thing. Hah awesome

Posted by Non | July 17, 2008 4:04 PM

ROBIN WILIAMS MUST BE STOPPED. SHAME ON YOU FOR ENCOURAGING HIM.

Posted by FRUITCAKEpuppet | July 17, 2008 4:13 PM

I'm tickled that Brendan thinks the stuttering joke is my best, I think he's the first. The whole show was tight, everybody was on their game, and Robin was a supernice guy, throwing props my way during his set. This made my 21st bday one for the ages.

Posted by Ross Parsons | July 17, 2008 11:09 PM

I'm a local who tried out for the movie as talk show host, "Dr. Lori". The audition (just my lines & imagining Williams crying in seat next to me as script says) is the first video on my Youtube link below. The rest of the spots are dedicated to "In The Motherhood" discussions including a WARNING about keeping bags of baking soda in one's minivan glove box as one mom was going to do! I'd love to work with Robin Williams!

Posted by Debbie Tucker | July 18, 2008 5:14 AM

I was there, and was just as surprised as anyone else. FTR (this needs to be cleared up), the "short bus orgy" line was spoken by the man in face-off.... that man was Jesse Case, one of my favorite performers there. He is a hilarious dude.

He also had the Gestapo comment. He is the reigning Face-Off champion.

Ross Parsons is pretty damn funny as well.

Posted by Rob H. | July 18, 2008 8:09 AM

Ross - you ROCK! Happy Birthday!

Posted by Dad | July 18, 2008 4:46 PM

The woman in the face off was Jessica Strauss and she is the one who said, "Short bus orgy." She was a noble oponant for Jesse Case! I thought she was going to pull it off! Robin could not have been nicer! He came to the show with Morgan Murphy, who is a friend of Ross Parsons, the birthday "boy". The whole show was awesome!

Posted by Carmen Garrison | July 19, 2008 12:47 AM

You simply rock....

But the same Robin must stop his act.

Anyway thanks for insightful post with
excellent pictures.

====================

AleX

brad pitt and angelina

Posted by alex | July 20, 2008 1:27 AM

Brendon, maybe next time you can get the names of the people involved in the face off instead of reporting them as "Man" and "Woman." That IS your job as journalist, am I correct?

Posted by Professional Journalism? | July 21, 2008 2:03 PM