Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on Misc.

Why, WHY do they think we want one fucking color burning the living shit out of our eyes?! Look at all that wasted space!

I just like my haystacks. Actual, physical board, and maybe a nifty iPhone version if I can find one that looks like it's worth some mullah.

Posted by Mr. Poe | July 15, 2008 3:26 PM

..omg, look at that picture of Rebecca. She looks retarded! HAHAHAHAH!!! RETARDED!!!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETARDE$DZAS

hey guys. i;'m drunk

Posted by Mr. Poe | July 15, 2008 3:28 PM

Actually I'm not. Hi Annie.

Posted by Mr. Poe | July 15, 2008 3:29 PM

Dueling Mr. Poes will entertain me for at least minutes.

Posted by Abby | July 15, 2008 3:32 PM

Thank God they didn't make a mac version. Macs are for yuppies and technologically challenged (and yes I know that people make "art" with them but they fall under the category of bourgeoisie yuppie types)

Posted by Bellevue Ave | July 15, 2008 3:40 PM

Sigh, the official version are always ugly unpleasant crap. They're targeted towards a lowest common denominator. They're created by some crappy consultants who sell whiz bang shit to get more money. They're not created by enthusiast nerds. It's sad.

On the other hand what's even more sad is the that creating scrabble is worth less than creating a facebook app.

Posted by daniel | July 15, 2008 3:42 PM

Annie - you are one tough cookie. Congrats on finishing the STP!

Posted by megvogel | July 15, 2008 3:44 PM

Jesus God that's an eyeload of vomit. And it doesn't even look like Scrabble! Orange and green squares? What the hell? Scrabulous is beautiful BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE SCRABBLE.

Posted by Fnarf | July 15, 2008 3:57 PM

But Bellevue Ave, it just works!

Posted by w7ngman | July 15, 2008 3:57 PM

It does suck hard though. Can they make the board smaller before they finish beta? Please.

Posted by daniel | July 15, 2008 4:00 PM

Abomination!

Posted by Bellevue Ave | July 15, 2008 4:01 PM

@5 Geeky science types have been moving to mac for a while now. All that unixylinuxy stuff that you used to run on university mainframes runs pretty swell on a mac laptop. (And, with the intel chips you can switch over to windows to play crappy games!)

Posted by umvue | July 15, 2008 4:08 PM

Iota, that's a sad first word. A whopping 8 points. Paninis? Fucking English.

Posted by keshmeshi | July 15, 2008 4:09 PM

What a waste of a downgrade for Scrabbilicious.

It's ok with me if Annie uses government chapstick, I get mine from the UW Alumni ...

Posted by Will in Seattle | July 15, 2008 4:14 PM

@13: PANINIS is actually no good, but the play in question was QATS and I let it stand so I could play QUOTA on the triple. (C was going to have the Q whether I challenged or not.) Word on IOTA, but that's the lowest scoring play this game. Stop with your little judgments.

Posted by annie | July 15, 2008 4:26 PM

@15,

All right, I'll stick to big judgments.

I know the pain of getting all vowels and one consonant on the first play. I was commiserating more than insulting.

Posted by keshmeshi | July 15, 2008 4:37 PM

I like how the user interface is close to unusable, and more screen real estate is used to carry the updated 'whooshy' Scrabble Brand Crossword Game (oh noes! No (R) in SCRABBLE Beta! Here come the Hasbro lawyers!). And the chat function is gone so players can't share their opinions of the worsened user experience.

I think I'd rather go to Meetups and local SCRABBLE Brand Crossword Game club meetings and kvetch with real people over a board that isn't trying so hard to provide people an inferior playing experience.

Posted by i love my hourlong commute | July 15, 2008 5:06 PM

aww it's not that bad.

Posted by harold | July 15, 2008 5:31 PM

Actually, the screenshot is not of the actual game, but the summary screen. The board is much larger when you are playing than what appears in the screenshot and there is still chat, dictionary, stats and other features.

I've played a few games now and I actually like it better. It is a good game.

Posted by Edgar | July 15, 2008 10:03 PM

The new colors suck, they don't have the full dictionary, etc.,..... so skip this watered down version and play live!

The Seattle Scrabble Club meets every Tuesday night at University Friends Meeting (4001 9th Ave NE) starting at 6pm. www.seattlescrabble.org

Posted by Rebecca Slivka | July 16, 2008 10:50 AM