Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Rafael Nadal | The Morning News »

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Apropos of Sunday Afternoon

posted by on July 6 at 16:35 PM

Sure is something when you’re listening to all the loudest, saddest songs your iPod knows, and you end up on a certain song you sometimes sing around the office to be funny but never actually lie back and listen to—a loud, sad song that’s about things much more horrible than whatever it is you’re going through, that had an incantatory and commercially viable four-word chorus, and that was marketed to the TV-watching public of 1994 with a video involving dirty children, people painted gold, a cross, machine guns, cement buildings covered in political graffiti, and blood-red trees on a soundstage—and you open your eyes to see a man and a woman and a dog who weren’t here in this park before, and the dog is running after a frisbee and the clouds have just parted and the man is standing with his arms outstretched to the sun.

RSS icon Comments

It's a good thing that you don't matter to anyone in...well, life.

Posted by Because you're the very definition of emo, you fucking loser. | July 6, 2008 4:49 PM

oh, come on 1, what are you so afraid of, you wuss-bag? a little joy and optimism never hurt anyone. would probably do you a world of good, come to think of it. and christopher must matter to his mom, at the very least.

Posted by ellarosa | July 6, 2008 4:54 PM

that is one long ass run on sentence. So, what was the song? Don't Worry, Be Happy?

Posted by Mike in MO | July 6, 2008 4:56 PM

Rollin doobies!?!?!?

Posted by chris farley | July 6, 2008 5:09 PM

There was a guy cruising around Capitol Hill in a red Benz convertible and "Without You" by Harry Nilsson was blaring on the stereo - was that you? Jeezis man, THAT was pathetic.

Posted by Your bulge | July 6, 2008 5:16 PM

Losing My Religion? I always thought the popularity of that song made it lose some of its sincerity. It's always been cool as hell to hate on REM, but Michael Stipe could really write some winners.

Posted by sad panda | July 6, 2008 5:43 PM

I think I'd agree with whoever assigned this post's category.

Posted by mattymatt | July 6, 2008 6:29 PM

I'll tell you what makes me open my eyes and see a man standing with his arms outstretched to the sun...an enormous whozeewhatsit!!!

Posted by Christopher Frizzelle's Enormous Whozeewhatsit | July 6, 2008 7:12 PM

This song is intellectually lazy and dishonest. Something only a shallow mind could appreciate. My deepest and closest friends - people I would suck the pus out of a blister on a monkey's toe for - and I make time to seek out music that speaks only truth. Like Leonard Cohen (gasp). Then we smash all else that isn't real.

Posted by Andrew Maguire | July 6, 2008 7:48 PM

It took you till 2008 to figure out what that song's about?

Did you live in a cave until 2006 or something?

Or Kennewick?

Posted by K | July 6, 2008 8:16 PM

....everybody knows....

Posted by everybodyknowzzzzz | July 6, 2008 8:26 PM

Zombie?

Posted by Gabriel | July 6, 2008 9:05 PM

WHAT'S THE SONG FOR F's SAKE???

Posted by jean genie | July 6, 2008 9:30 PM

Like a Prayer?

Posted by Abby | July 6, 2008 9:49 PM

1994 ... Incantatory and commercially viable four-word chorus ...

Whoomp! (There it Is)

Posted by Mahtli69 | July 6, 2008 9:56 PM

Don't worry be happy is from 88. next guess?

Posted by idaho | July 6, 2008 9:59 PM

You listen to garbage.

Posted by Mr. Poe | July 6, 2008 10:05 PM

In 1994, The Cranberries released "Linger," and one day, in San Francisco, this incredibly beautiful boy (who later stole my watch and my weed), started kissing me the exact second that song came on the radio and by the end of it, well...

Too bad that video is in B/W...

Too bad he's gone.

Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball | July 6, 2008 10:30 PM

Okay, didn't see dirty children, men in gold or a cross in the first 30 sec of Whoomp! and I couldn't watch anymore. And Linger's chorus is longer than 4 words. This is driving me nuts.

Posted by idaho | July 6, 2008 10:35 PM

It's the Cranberries - Zombie:
youtube"dot"com/watch?v=HJEySrDerj0

Posted by Madashell | July 6, 2008 10:51 PM

fun game, turned me onto this site: http://www.musicoutfitters.com/topsongs/1994.htm

...which is even better. Thanks for reminding me how assy music turned that year... April-ish...

Posted by Postum | July 6, 2008 11:54 PM

Holy Fuck, U Suck. U weren't there, and now you're trying too hard to act all cool and cosmo, but you can't cop to it because you weren't there but you think you were because you read it in a book somewhere from some crappy author (that you don't attribute it is forgiven), and you are still wondering why you're such a puss-puss and haven't done anything exciting, notable, dangerous, or noteworthy with your life. c. frizzelle, you were born alone, you got stoned and drunk, and you will someday leave in a sad, lonely, unremarkable, and unnoticed exeunte. people will remark about your lack of vision, your entire hum-drumness, and then they'll... well, they're your friends, so they'll probably get baked and forget about you the very next day.

your post was just as pointless as my reply. enjoy it, fucker.

Posted by HFUS | July 7, 2008 2:21 AM

Jesus Christ, Slog. Do something about your comments sections.

Posted by Kiru Banzai | July 7, 2008 6:02 AM

The dirty children clue made me think of "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam, but I think it came out before '94.

Posted by Ryan | July 7, 2008 8:04 AM

@18,

That's the corniest thing I've ever read.

Posted by The Incredible Husk | July 7, 2008 8:41 AM

It's the same old theme since 1916.

In your head, in your head they're still fighting,

With their tanks and their bombs,

And their bombs and their guns.

Posted by K | July 7, 2008 10:34 AM

OK..so indulge me once again.
What's the "incantatory and commercially viable four-word chorus"?

"Zombie...Zombie...Zombie..ie..ie" is only 3 words.

"In Your Head" is also only 3 words.

I don't know why but this slog post has become an obsession.

Posted by jean genie | July 7, 2008 12:08 PM

Christopher Frizzelle wrote, "An incantatory and commercially viable four-word chorus."

In his head, he must spell it, "In you're head."

Posted by Rob Campbell | July 7, 2008 12:10 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, postum. I've had a song stuck in my head since 1995, and have easily spent 100+ hours online trying to figure out what it was. I went as far as offering $100 to The End listeners and sung the chorus for the DJ. No luck. Five minutes on musicoutfitters.com, and the mystery is solved. You've dislodged a splinter in my soul. As a lifelong pop culture obsessive-compulsive, you've given me one less thing to agonize over.

PS. I'm embarrassed to say what song it was, and it's not as good as I remembered.

Posted by demolator | July 7, 2008 6:57 PM