News The Morning News
posted by June 27 at 7:48 AMon
Here We Go: McCain says he’ll reach out to conservative Christians in his campaign for president.
Delayed: FISA vote, until after Independence Day.
Rejected: Calls to delay Zimbabwe “election.”
Announced: City art grants.
The Dow is Down: And oil is up.
Dame Judy Dench: An honorary doctor of letters.
Michelle Obama’s “Makeover”: Whoops - never happened.
Meh: Mayors react blandly to Supreme Court’s overturning of DC gun ban.
Violate “Appropriate” Gender Roles: Get called a “prostitute,” at least in Egypt.
Hope They Rot In There: Millionaire couple sentenced for enslaving, torturing housekeepers.
Do Not Want: American Apparel brings back Hypercolor. Can Skidz be far behind?
No Gardasil for You!: FDA declines approval of cervical cancer vaccine for women over 26—for now.
Recipe of the Day: Spring Vegetable Stew (recipe and photo via Boston Globe)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 pound haricots verts (very slender green beans)
14 fresh asparagus, ends snapped off
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 spring onion, trimmed and sliced
3 cloves garlic, grated finely
1 piece (1-inch) ginger root, grated
3 slender carrots, cut in thin 2-inch matchsticks
1 small fennel bulb, white part thinly sliced
1/4 pound sugar snap peas
1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
1 small zucchini, cut into matchsticks
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1 Boston or bibb lettuce heart, quartered
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the green beans for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse them with cold water.
2. Cut the asparagus stalks into 1-inch pieces; reserve the tips.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Cook the onion for 1 minute. Add the garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute more. Add the carrots, fennel, and asparagus stalks. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.
4. Add the sugar snaps, peas, zucchini, asparagus tips, sugar, water, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 9 minutes. Add the lettuce heart and cook 1 minute.
5. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with parsley and basil. Add more salt and pepper, if you like. -