Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« The First Mrs. John McCain | Question from a Reader »

Monday, June 9, 2008

Da Butt: With a ‘Z’

posted by on June 9 at 12:19 PM

I have watched Liza Minnelli’s 1972 performance of “I Gotcha” (from Liza with a ‘Z’, choreographed by Bob Fosse) more times than I care to enumerate, but on a recent viewing I noticed a few things I hadn’t seen before. Almost two minutes into the clip, I found myself asking, “Wait, did Liza just do the Tootsie Roll?” The answer is yes. Then she does The Matrix, Da Butt, and the most spastic Crank Dat Soulja Boy one could hope to see. I know Fosse gets plenty of big ups already, but damn, y’all. Check it out:

Tootsie Roll (1:53/ 2:47)
The Matrix (2:34)
Crank Dat (3:12)
Walk It Out (Pretty much the whole time)
Rack Daddy (1:54, backup dancers)
Da Butt (3:27 - I love this dance because while it is highly sexual, Da Butt manages to be completely unsexy.)

RSS icon Comments

Interesting -- this just changed from an Amy Kate to a Chelsea post.

And right as I was wondering, "Where is that hopelessly dull Chelsea at today?"

Chelz, you oughts try "The Bump"...as in "yourself off."

Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball | June 9, 2008 12:28 PM

So Liza did dance moves before they were invented by later generations??? Maybe the current crop is really just rehashing 40 year-old steps without recognizing the source? Of course Fosse stole, too....... Tain't much new under the sun.

Posted by Hartiepie | June 9, 2008 12:40 PM

the similarity for some of them is really reaching.

Posted by Bellevue Ave | June 9, 2008 12:43 PM

For the record, I LOVE these kind of posts analyzing classic performances. You could be the Seth Rudetsky of the Pacific Northwest! Keep 'em coming, Chelsea.

Posted by Bub | June 9, 2008 12:54 PM

I'd hit it.

Oh, wait. This isn't Fark.

Sorry.

Posted by pgreyy | June 9, 2008 1:17 PM

Chelsea, this really isn't an improvement over your previous work.

I'm giving you a straight "C" for this one, but you've got to show more initiative and imagination on your next assignment.

Posted by COMTE | June 9, 2008 1:19 PM

I'm assuming you already YouTubed "Walk It Out Fosse".

Posted by Rachael F. | June 9, 2008 3:06 PM

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

Posted by Ecclesiastes | June 9, 2008 4:49 PM

Best Slog post ever. Servicey, too.

Posted by Eric F | June 9, 2008 5:33 PM

And if you haven't looked up "walk it out fosse" on youtube you really really should.

IT ROCKS!