Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Sure, She Fed Her Living Son's... | Interview With a Bookseller »

Friday, June 20, 2008

Bad Girls

posted by on June 20 at 13:04 PM

I’m thinking there was plenty of toot-toot on board to fuel this 1980 exercise in showmanship, pizazz, and talent with a capital T. It’s from Goldie and Liza Together, what used to be called a television “spectacular” and today is pretty much nonexistent. The choreography may be weak, the narrative sketchy, but enjoy a legend in her prime, doing what she was born to do… (make sure you hold out for 2:45. It’s dreamy!).

Now just to compare and contrast, here’s a slightly more downtown version, with fabulous celebrity background hookers (Pat Ast!!) Donna Summer looks suspiciously like local falsettist diva Adé. This is the party I would have wanted to be at…

It was nowhere near that glamorous when I was arrested for soliciting…

The sun is out and so am I. It’s my birthday today, so have a great Slog without me until Monday.

RSS icon Comments

What's with the random clapping at 1:48 in the first clip?

Posted by NaFun | June 20, 2008 1:20 PM

There's something wonderful but oddly frightening about Liza. And is it sad that as I was watching that clip I thought, "huh, that set is similar to the set on her mother's TV series (that I own on DVD)?"

Posted by Balt-O-Matt | June 20, 2008 1:23 PM

Oh, and happy birthday!

Posted by Balt-O-Matt | June 20, 2008 1:24 PM

Happy Birthday, It's!

Posted by Fnarf | June 20, 2008 1:37 PM

Alright, it's official, I love you. Happy birthday!

Posted by The General | June 20, 2008 1:50 PM

The best moment?

Cop: I'm taking you in.
Donna: To the the jailhouse?
Cop: No, to my house.
Donna: Oooh.

I can't think of anything I've seen on TV in the past year that's half as raunchy as that.
The past decade even.

Posted by krzysz | June 20, 2008 3:26 PM

How old do you have to be to remember Liza and Donna? If your as old as I am, my condolences.

Posted by Vince | June 20, 2008 3:40 PM

Happy Birthday, Mark.

You wearing your birthday suit tomorrow for the bike ride?

Posted by Will in Seattle | June 20, 2008 3:54 PM

Why does Liza turn into Kate Bush between 2:50 and 3:15 in that clip?

Posted by DJ El Toro | June 20, 2008 4:02 PM

Way to keep it gay, Mark.

Posted by Greg | June 20, 2008 4:20 PM

"Bad Girls" header and then play on words with "toot toot" in the body?

Thank you.

Happy birthday!

Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball | June 20, 2008 4:35 PM

And I love Ade!!!

Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball | June 20, 2008 4:39 PM

Happy birthday!

Posted by elenchos | June 20, 2008 6:00 PM

I haven't been able to watch these clips until now. They make me wish I was gay. 2:45 in the first clip is good, but when the phone starts ringing towards the end, I sighed a little. God, I wish they'd bring this kind of stuff back to TV, and make these modern pop tarts earn their paycheck for once.

I'm going to be very disappointed if you don't keep bringing the dance spectaculars, Mister Mitchell.

Posted by Fnarf | June 21, 2008 12:08 AM

Krzysz @6 -- and then he got into the back seat with her.

Posted by Fnarf | June 21, 2008 12:12 AM

hello a href="http://www.epinions.com/user-buycelerrex/show_~View_Profile/"buy celebrex/a.

Posted by SeennyInvoide | June 25, 2008 8:36 AM