Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Tomorrow's Legislative Distric... | Pre-Fab Opposition »

Friday, April 4, 2008

This Week on Drugs

posted by on April 4 at 17:35 PM

Holy Fucking Shit: Aerial drones to hunt pot growers.

The federal government plans to escalate its eradication of marijuana plantations in the backwoods of national forests this year, beginning in California with the deployment of larger strike teams and the controversial launching of miniature, remote-controlled spy planes to outfox growers, a top Bush administration official said Thursday.

The SkySeer runs quietly and its tiny video camera can resolve whether a person is armed with a handgun from 250 feet in the air high enough for the 4-foot-long craft to become invisible from the ground, according to its inventor, Sam De La Torres.

big_probe_droid.jpg

Detained: Red tape keeps prisoners with reduced sentences in jail.

Distracted: Cops too busy busting drugs to stop gangs.

Rejected: California kills bill to drug test welfare recipients.

Arrested: Mom allegedly gives meth to her kid.

Fair and Balanced: Are retroactive crack sentences a gamble with our safety?

Fairview Fanny: On drugs.

Rick Steves: Remains awesome.

Bobby Brown: Blames Whitney.

Los Angeles: Supports medical pot dispensaries.

Viet Nam: Considers shorter terms.

The Official Word: Drugs killed Tasered man.

Wacky Tobacky: Tom Cruise may sue over namesake weed.

RSS icon Comments

THE BOTS ARE COMING

can you imagine what a shitty fucking place the world is going to be in 100 years?

Posted by owsley | April 4, 2008 7:22 PM

That looks like something straight out of Star Wars. It's a short leap from using this technology to rout "bad guys" to using it to see what's happening on your private property. And all of you who say, "but I'm not a bad guy, they won't come after me" wake up and smell the f*cking coffee we're quickly losing control over what the government is allowed to define as "bad."

Posted by PopTart | April 4, 2008 7:48 PM

Nope. But George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, and a host of others sure did. No matter, I'll be dead in another 25-30 years and then it's somebody else's problem.

Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty | April 4, 2008 7:49 PM

You know, the version of the future that I hate is the movie Demolition Man. "In the future all restaurants are Taco Bell." Aaarghh, help me. And I'm never using a weird shell like thing to wipe my butt--you'll have to pry the toilet paper out of my cold dead hands.

Posted by PopTart | April 4, 2008 8:01 PM

@2,

If you're talking about the pic that Dominic posted, that is a drone from Star Wars. The actual drone, pictured in the article, is significantly less impressive.

Posted by keshmeshi | April 4, 2008 8:29 PM

@5 oops! that's what I get for not following the link. I knew it looked like something from Star Wars!

Posted by PopTart | April 4, 2008 8:36 PM

@2

While there may be private property issues, I'm all for using it to patrol the forests. The hell with pot growers, meth labs, etc. ruining the national forests. I say bust 'em all.

Posted by Squatch | April 4, 2008 9:17 PM

Don't do drugs, and you won't have to worry about any of this.

Why anyone wants to be a druggie is beyond me.

Posted by ecce homo | April 4, 2008 10:34 PM

Don't be a jackass, and you won't have to worry about any of this.

Why anyone wants to be a jackass is beyond me.

Posted by superyeadon | April 4, 2008 11:27 PM

Typical druggie response.

"I have a right to be a druggie!!!"

Answer: Nope, you don't.

Get a real job and start contributing to society.

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 8:42 AM

Photo at:http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/

Beverly Morris, bottom right, screams and collapses as the casket carrying her brother, U.S. Army Spec. Charles Jankowski, arrives at the Panama City-Bay County International Airport in Panama City, Fla., on Friday. Comforting Morris are her sister, Felicia Kirkland, left, and Jankowski's girlfriend, Karen Hainley. Jankowski died from wounds from an exploding improvised explosive device near Baghdad, Iraq, on Friday, March 28, 2008. He will be buried on Monday, April 7, 2008.
(April 04, 2008)

Posted by Brave and mighty SAVAGE warrior Dan | April 5, 2008 9:07 AM

You don't have a "right" to do drugs.

Grow up and get real jobs.

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 9:29 AM

Shorter ecce hobo @ 12:

I'm unemployed because I'm too stupid and lazy to hold down a real job. I want to do drugs but I'm such a simpering waste that even drug dealers will have nothing to do with me. I'm so jealous of the cool kids. They didn't even notice me enough to torment me in school. And that's why I still have the maturity of an adolescent boy.

Posted by keshmeshi | April 5, 2008 1:07 PM

At least you had the courage to not be a sock puppet this time Kesh.

Chickenshit...

Posted by ecce homo | April 6, 2008 2:16 AM

@14,

I've never been a sock puppet. Everyone here hates your worthless ass. It stands to reason that many other people have reason to run you out of town.

Posted by keshmeshi | April 6, 2008 12:57 PM