History The Bush Presidency, Defined
posted by April 5 at 9:20 AMon
1. Perverse, refractory; headstrong, obstinate; capricious, skittish; (also) coy. Obs.
2. a. Silly, senseless, foolish. Obs.
b. Beside oneself; out of one’s senses; mad. Obs.
3. Spiteful, malignant, mischievous, harmful. Obs.
4. Hateful, distasteful, horrid. Obs.
Used to express a feeling of dislike, hostility, or contempt on the part of the speaker, not necessarily inspired by any quality of the object referred to.
5. Irritable, querulous; childishly fretful; characterized by or exhibiting petty bad temper.
(from the OED)