Slog News & Arts

« The Morning News | Currently Hanging »

Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Bush Presidency, Defined

posted by on April 5 at 9:20 AM

PeevishBush.jpg

Peevish, adj.

1. Perverse, refractory; headstrong, obstinate; capricious, skittish; (also) coy. Obs.

2. a. Silly, senseless, foolish. Obs.

b. Beside oneself; out of one’s senses; mad. Obs.

3. Spiteful, malignant, mischievous, harmful. Obs.

4. Hateful, distasteful, horrid. Obs.
Used to express a feeling of dislike, hostility, or contempt on the part of the speaker, not necessarily inspired by any quality of the object referred to.

5. Irritable, querulous; childishly fretful; characterized by or exhibiting petty bad temper.

(from the OED)

RSS icon Comments

Bush loving Dan Savage wrote an aggressive enthusiastic pro-Iraq war piece in Oct 2002 titled:
“Say “YES” to War on Iraq”

Here are a couple excerpts:

“War may be bad for children and other living things, but there are times when peace is worse for children and other living things, and this is one of those times.”

“The War on Iraq will make it clear to our friends and enemies in the Middle East (and elsewhere) that we mean business: Free your people, reform your societies, liberalize, and democratize… or we’re going to come over there, remove you from power, free your people, and reform your societies for ourselves.”

Check out the photo at http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/

Here’s the caption:
Beverly Morris, bottom right, screams and collapses as the casket carrying her brother, U.S. Army Spec. Charles Jankowski, arrives at the Panama City-Bay County International Airport in Panama City, Fla., on Friday. Comforting Morris are her sister, Felicia Kirkland, left, and Jankowski’s girlfriend, Karen Hainley. Jankowski died from wounds from an exploding improvised explosive device near Baghdad, Iraq, on Friday, March 28, 2008. He will be buried on Monday, April 7, 2008.
(April 04, 2008)

Posted by Brave and mighty SAVAGE warrior Dan | April 5, 2008 9:33 AM

You would rather have had Al Gore on 9-11? I don't.

You would have rather Osama get Iraqui WMD's and use them on Americans?

I am speechless.

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 9:56 AM

@1--Umm, Dan's not Bush-loving in any sense of word. Idiot.

Posted by Michigan Matt | April 5, 2008 9:57 AM

you really are a piece of shit, brave and mighty. at a time when dan is mourning the death of his mother, you post crap like this. have some decency, and shut the fuck up. moderators, it's time to register commenters so we can ban them. do it for dan.

Posted by scary tyler moore | April 5, 2008 10:11 AM

Whatever you say, ecce hobo.

Posted by keshmeshi | April 5, 2008 10:24 AM

I sort of get the ones where it's actually an Iraq war casualty, but why does he also post the deaths of guys who died in like the Civil War or imaginary characters like that one from the Lord of the Rings? And why does he post like 10 in a row and then disappear for days? Is it variation in his dosage or just like when he's given computer privileges?

And why am I even trying to understand a kook?

Posted by elenchos | April 5, 2008 10:25 AM

#4

You demonstrate the problem with so many SLOG commenter's. You are under 35 and think that if someone doesn't see thing your way, they are not worth listening to.

Just Ban EVERYONE!!! Make SLOG just like every other pathetic internet blog. BAN EVERYONE!!! (Except Fnarf, Sven, ECB, Elanchos, Poe, and Carrolani. That way, they can all just speak to each other and not have to worry about any other pesky annoying people muddying up their pretty little world.

This place really should just disallow comments altogether and make it the special hang out spot for the afore mentioned personalities.

Now THAT would make SLOG truly banal.

You don't like something, just ban it.

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 10:50 AM

Whatever you say, ecce hobo.

Posted by keshmeshi | April 5, 2008 10:56 AM

Exactly Kesh...

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 10:57 AM

ohmigod! ecce dumbfuck thinks i'm under 35! i can barely type this for laughing so much.

tsm, hernandez, fnarf, comte, mr. poe, tell this limp dick asshole that i am most definitely NOT under 35, and in fact am old enough to be his mother, who probably regrets the day she pooped him out of her vagina.

Posted by scary tyler moore | April 5, 2008 10:58 AM

You don't poop out of your vagina.

That is sexist and rude!!!

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 11:04 AM

Back on topic.

I know he isn't popular now, but he was on the ball at the beginning of the war and at the trade centers.

It isn't his fault that pansy ass americans have abandoned the soldiers in Iraq and now want them to fail. It isn't his fault that members of the military have undercut his authority.

I feel safer with him in office than any of the alternatives.

John Kerry? Puhleezze...

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 11:08 AM

takes one to know one

Posted by vooodooo84 | April 5, 2008 11:11 AM

@1 - This is the direct link to the photo you cited. Those who prepare the president's daily one-page intelligence briefing [in big block letters] should include this photo every day for the remainder of his moronically criminal term of office. I'd rather have had Harding - and that's Warren and not Tanya.

Posted by RHETT ORACLE | April 5, 2008 11:17 AM

@12,

You know plenty about being pansy ass, don't you, ecce hobo?

Posted by keshmeshi | April 5, 2008 11:19 AM

1. Ecce Homo is a troll. Please ignore him, unless it is a rare moment at which he actually offers something useful to the discussion.

2. Thanks to my stating #1, he will inevitably say something astonishingly nasty about me. I suggest something antisemitic, just to mix things up a bit, ecce.

3. Right as the war was getting started--April 23 2003--I participated on a panel discussing the likely outcomes of the Iraq war. WMDs came up. I made the following points:

a. We *sold* Iraq chemical and biological weapons, primarily for use against the Iranians. The chemical weapons were used against the Kurds.

b. By 2003, most likely the weapons were no longer viable.

c. Even if they were viable, the US nuclear arsenal was a perfectly adequate deterrent for someone like Saddam, with much to lose.

d. If Iraq *did* have WMDs, the Saddam-led Sunni dominated Baathist leadership would be most likely to lash out with them on the precipice of total military collapse, realizing they were a hated minority in a majority Shia country--no longer having as much to lose against a US nuclear retaliation. I speculated that this might be an intended consequence of the US invasion, to create a circumstance in which the US could use its nuclear arsenal to secure long-term access to oil.

e. If Iraq had WMDs, and didn't use them in a panic at the end of the invasion, they most likely would fall into the hands of Sunni insurgents far before the skeletal US-lead invasion force could find and secure them. The Sunni's had far better intelligence than the US-led forces and, particularly after the sudden dismantling of the Iraqi army, good reason to keep them as a deterrent against the US.

To put it bluntly, if Iraq had WMDs, the most likely consequence of the invasion would be the placement of the WMDs right into the hands of Sunni-lead terrorist groups--like Al Qaeda.

Hmm. It's been a while since I've thought along these flowcharty lines.

Posted by Jonathan Golob | April 5, 2008 11:20 AM

But why does he blame Dan Savage for wars that ended before he was born? Try to flow chart that one. This is more about mental illness than WMDs.

Posted by elenchos | April 5, 2008 11:27 AM

@4 why the outrage? Death destruction and suffering-it's all fair game for the amusement and entertainment of you sloggers. A couple weeks ago Dan Savage posted an amusing story about an obese woman who accidentally killed a child. My goodness! the wit and hipster irony that followed that post was sooooo amusing. Not a single expression of concern for the family of the dead child or the poor woman who killed it. Several minutes of fun and wit and then it was time to move on to the latest amusing and entertaining slog posts. Perhaps @4, Dan will return with an amusing account of his mother's passing for your entertainment. If he doesn't it will reveal him to be a Slogger fraud!

Posted by Fartf | April 5, 2008 11:34 AM

@6 uuuuuuuuuuh-EVERYTHING IS FAIR GAME AT SLOG--the posts about Civil War casualties are for the purpose of making fun (in the best Slogger manner) of posts like this one below. The post below is to rmind smug Sloggers and sepeacially your glorious leader Dan Savage that this is what is happening in his glorious war on the people of Iraq. I'd post links to storiers about Iraqi children who have been blown to fucking pieces, but you sloggers would find it amusing-especially if there was an obese woman in the picture.

Sgt. Dayne D. Dhanoolal

Hometown: Brooklyn, New York, U.S.

Age: 26 years old

Died: March 31, 2008 in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Unit: Army, 2nd Battalion, 69th Armor Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Benning, Ga.

Incident: Killed when a makeshift bomb detonated near his vehicle in Baghdad.

Posted by Poo | April 5, 2008 11:42 AM

Well if anybody can prove Slogger fraud I say they should get their money back. Post haste.

Posted by elenchos | April 5, 2008 11:42 AM

SLOG is a sewer filled with sewer rats. It takes an exterminator to clean it out. The problem is, that every week, there is a new crop of wannabes who jump on board who think that they are:

A: Original
B: Insightful
C: Witty
D: Relevant
E: Intelligent

Usually they last a week.

Kesh is different. She has a enough fat stored up to last the rest of spring. That is unless I stop posting. In which case, her universe will collapse.

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 11:46 AM

@16 Golob. Why would @1 say something "astonishingly nasty" about you? Why would @1 give a fuck about your opinion and past statements.Who the fuck are you? A guy who spends his time surfing the web for childish trash to entertain and amuse sloggers with.
When you become a nationally known cocksucker like Dan maybe someone will pay attention to what you have to say.

Posted by DW | April 5, 2008 11:49 AM

Mr. Golob,

I am unclear why you would say that I am an anti-semite.

Unless you define anti-semite so loosely as to render it essentially meaningless.

I feel that the war in Iraq was neccesary for two important reasons.

1: To protect us from Sadam and other terrorists, and any potential WMD that could get transfered to Al Queda.

2: To help insure the security of our sister state of Israel, the only democracy in the middle east. With Saddam knocking on their door with nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, they are vulnerable.

I think both reasons are quite important and more than justify this war.

While Bush isn't popular, doing the hard work rarely is. We will see how we feel in the next 10 years when we have avoided another attack on american soil. That is the most important thing to me.

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 11:59 AM

Shorter ecce hobo @ 21:

I'm a sewer rat who's unoriginal, uninsightful, unfunny, irrelevant, and unintelligent. I'm such a fat ass that I have to resort to projecting my own faults onto others. Don't blame me, I'm a completely useless piece of shit. If I didn't have the opportunity to attack my betters, my universe would completely fall apart.

Posted by keshmeshi | April 5, 2008 12:11 PM

@16,

You're forgetting that the UN confirmed the destruction of 90 to 95 percent of Saddam's arsenal. He must have had a mind boggling arsenal of weapons to begin with for 5 to 10 percent to pose such a threat, especially when chemical and biological weapons have such a short shelf life.

Posted by keshmeshi | April 5, 2008 12:16 PM

@19

Hi. Can you re-explain that for me? I don't claim to be all that smart, myself. Maybe this is one of those times where I'm slow and have to have it broken down for me in more simple terms.

You're saying that sometimes you post about real casualties, but other times you want to make fun of your own posts by mocking them with absurd or imaginary casualties? And the reason for this is because Sloggers are sumg? And you are demonstrating their smugness by making parodies of yourself?

That can't be what you mean. Please help me understand what the purpose of all this is.

Posted by elenchos | April 5, 2008 12:34 PM

Case in point

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 12:34 PM

Kesh,

As a fat activist, is it really appropriate for you to use the word "fat" as a pejorative?

I thought your points on various other blogs and forums is that fat is NOT a bad thing.

I even recall you saying that you find fat women sexy. As a lesbian in favor of equal rights, how can you reconcile these seemingly opposite ideals.

That explanation may bring something to SLOG, instead of you just stalking me around.

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 12:40 PM

Is anyone glad that we haven't had another attack on our home soil since we went into Iraq?

I consider that a BIG plus.

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 12:46 PM

@26 I post about real casualties SOMEONE ELSE is doing the posts about civil war and fictional casualties so as to be a REAL SLOGGER and make fun of my posts of actual casualties. Everything and everyone is fair game at Slog.

Posted by ... | April 5, 2008 1:00 PM

@28,

Fat isn't a bad thing, but you clearly think it is. Since everything you say is a projection: You call others smug and childish, you are smug and childish. You call others stupid, you are stupid. If you call me fat, you must be fat. I'm not sure what to think about the lesbian accusations. Are you a lesbian, ecce homo? Or are you merely attracted to women and upset that you're too worthless for any woman to give you the time of day?

Posted by keshmeshi | April 5, 2008 1:03 PM

#31

Just going by your posts here and on other BLOG's.

There is something wrong with someone who spends as much time as you do upset by people who don't accept fat people for who they are, but then use "fat" as an insult.

Again, can you explain your point a little more clear?

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 1:06 PM

@32,

My point is that you're a sniveling little worm who uses "fat" as an insult against me -- demonstrating yet again your astounding stupidity. You clearly think that calling someone fat is the ultimate insult. Therefore, I use it against you.

Additionally, as I already said, it is obvious that everything you say is a projection. Consequently, if you accuse someone of being fat, you are clearly fat and you clearly think that's a horrible thing. Therefore, I'm a-gonna call you a fat fuck.

Posted by keshmeshi | April 5, 2008 1:20 PM

Wow Kesh,

That made absolutely no sense.

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 1:23 PM

Wow, what a clueless Dick. Is e. homo always trawling around these boards? Sad when unemployed idiots have nothing better to do than sit around their mother's basement in their underwear getting their jollies spewing moronic diatribes. Maybe if you got bush's cock out of your mouth long enough you would see what is happening in the real world. Get out of that basement you might find the "real" world that is out there.

Posted by Dead Reagan | April 5, 2008 1:26 PM

Shorter ecce hobo @34:

Yes, I really am that stupid.

Posted by keshmeshi | April 5, 2008 1:30 PM

Typical SLOG,

say something that doesn't match typical convention, like

"I am glad the terrorists haven't attacked again"

and you are called a "dick".

I assume you think that the deaths of thousands of people is just more fun to watch on your tv and joke about with the rest of your hip pals.

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 1:30 PM

Kesh,

I am done with you.

Having spent enough time with self loathing gay men in my life, I choose to spend my energy elsewhere. You can now troll someone or somewhere else.

I do suggest getting some help with your weight though. Heart disease, stroke, cancers, diabetes, etc... are all waiting for you. Also, you will never be happy as long as you hate yourself for being fat. Loose a little weight and you will likely start to like yourself a little more. You have all my support in the matter.

As for being a closet case, embrace who God made you. There is no shame in being a bull dyke. Some of my best friends are. The difference between you and them is that they accept who and what they are, where as you are angry, resentful and bitter.

Prayers for you and your family.

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 1:38 PM

Shorter ecce hobo:

I love joking about terrorist attack victims. I am actually capable of some shame however, so, instead of changing my hateful behavior, I accuse others of doing what I like to do.

I'm self loathing, although not a closet case. I try to pretend I don't have a sexual orientation, since no one will agree to fuck me, but that doesn't quite qualify me for any closet.

I'm a fat fuck who hates myself for it, so, as with everything else, I launch ad hominem attacks against people who don't like me (which is everyone on this planet, including myself), accusing them of having myfaults. I'm terrified of dying from my diet of junk, but I hate myself so much, I can't do anything about it.

I claim to have friends, some of them bull dykes, but since everyone loathes me that is obviously a lie.

I'm a pathetic douchebag. Everyone pity me.

Posted by keshmeshi | April 5, 2008 1:55 PM

Is #12 brilliant parody? Or is ecce just more ignorant than I gave him credit for? Come on ecce, fill us in.

9/11 was obviously huge, psychological, but it ended up getting far more mileage than it really deserved. It only killed 3000 people and it cost way too much money. Americans don't even bat an eye at 3000 deaths, as long as they don't happen all at once, and it doesn't involve explosions an spectacular collapses of Pretty Tall Buildings. That and it was what, thirteen Freidman units ago? It would take one 9/11 per week to truly threaten a suburban douchbag like ecce. We could put Mickey Mouse into office and you would still be pretty fucking safe. If a president makes you "feel" safe or unsafe you should probably recalibrate your bullshit detector.

Ironically, #12, or at least the persona you're parodying: you got trolled.

Posted by w7ngman | April 5, 2008 1:58 PM

I am surprised that so many people here have ignored the fact that we have been spared from another attack.

Why do you think that is?

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 3:30 PM

@30

Someone else is doing it? Not you? But that's so mean.

But wait. How do I know you're not one of these typical mean sloggers, deliberately orchestrating this whole twisted thing for your own amusement? Who are you? Who are you really?

Posted by elenchos | April 5, 2008 4:04 PM

You want a real answer, hobo? Because it's unnecessary. We're attacking ourselves now; there's no reason for Al Qaeda to do it. You, like most Bushies, don't know what the hell is going on around you. You think the purpose of the 9/11 attacks was to kill a bunch of people, and that what the attackers want is to kill a lot more. That's nonsensical. The victims of the 9/11 attack are YOU AND ME.

They were attempting to goad us into attacking them in the Middle East, where they know we cannot possibly win; and they were attempting to instill TERROR in our hearts, and cause us to abandon our civil liberties and eventually our entire way of life out of fear.

They have so far been utterly successful in all of these aims. Al Qaeda has achieved a victory greater than they could possibly have imagined, all for the cost of a few plane tickets. And you celebrate our downfall. Nice.

Posted by Fnarf | April 5, 2008 4:11 PM

Well then Fnart,

When are you moving to France? I am sure we can take up a collection if you promise to give up your citizenship.

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 4:15 PM

Oh my, Ecce must be feeling fat and lonely today! She/He needed lots of attention.

Posted by mj | April 5, 2008 6:19 PM

ecce @23: "I feel that the war in Iraq was neccesary for two important reasons...

2: To help insure the security of our sister state of Israel, the only democracy in the middle east."

i seem to remember ecce denouncing in no uncertain terms the state of israel in a recent post about hillary being called a "zionist,"
wherein he said zionism was racism or somesuch. are you maybe just a little mentally unbalanced, ecce?

Posted by ellarosa | April 5, 2008 6:37 PM

COMMENT DELETED: Sock-Puppetry

We'd rather not moderate your comments, but off-topic, gratuitously inflammatory, threatening, or otherwise inappropriate remarks may be removed, and repeat offenders may be banned from commenting. We never censor comments based on ideology. Thanks to all who add to the conversation on Slog.

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 7:33 PM

COMMENT DELETED: Sock-Puppetry

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 7:35 PM

Hm, looks like it's either time for someone to get their meds adjusted, or, the last med adjustment needs to be re-evaluated.

Really, e.c. adopting the personality of an Internet troll must surely be about the most UNunique identity one could possibly take on these days.

Posted by COMTE | April 5, 2008 9:04 PM

#47 and #48 are not me.

Sock puppetry is not the least bit acceptable to the Stranger staff.

I look forward to your banning you cowardly prick.

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 9:29 PM

COMMENT DELETED: Sock-Puppetry

Posted by ecce homo | April 5, 2008 9:50 PM

Sock puppetry is unacceptable at Slog. Supporting war crimes and making fun of suffering and death is acceptable however. Posing as an expert on politics is also acceptable whether you know what the fuck you are talking about or not. And being a poseur is definitely acceptable or there would be no Slog.

Posted by Josh Feit | April 5, 2008 9:53 PM

Wait. Now I'm confused. Guys? Come on. Stop it. Stop it!

Posted by elenchos | April 5, 2008 10:06 PM

COMMENT DELETED: Sock-Puppetry

Posted by ecce homo | April 6, 2008 12:24 AM

#47, #48 #51 and #54 are also sock puppets.

#38, #41 and #44 is me.

Trace the IP please and ban this coward.

Posted by ecce homo | April 6, 2008 1:06 AM

Sockpuppets are among the most disgusting and pathetic form of internet forum life.

You may not like me, fine. There are many who don't. But to use my name is as chickenshit a move as you can make.

Posted by ecce homo | April 6, 2008 1:15 AM

I fogive Dan for being wrong -- DEAD WRONG -- about the war in Iraq.

After he came out in support of the Iraq war, it took me a long time to be able to consider anything Dan said.

In the meantime, Dan has shown himself to be right on target and has spoken eloquently about most issues ...not to mention that he is outstanding as a regular correspondent for Bill Maher.

Posted by blackhook | April 6, 2008 3:14 AM

Right e.h., 'cause trying to claim some sort of moral high-ground on the issue, while hiding behind an pseudonymic handle is so much LESS chickenshit...

Posted by COMTE | April 6, 2008 10:39 AM

Comte,

Why do you think that Ben Franklin was a Chickenshit?

Posted by ecce homo | April 6, 2008 11:55 AM

*Snort!* Wow, what delusions of grandeur you have e.h.! Perhaps we should add paranoia and a bit of a Napoleonic Complex to your ever-increasing list of psychoses.

To even suggest your pathetic little situation here is anywhere remotely akin to Franklin's simply points up how hopelessly self-absorbed and narcissistic you are - or do you really expect us to believe that posting here using your real name would somehow put you in jeopardy of arrest, imprisonment, and possible execution for the crime of sedition? If so, then in all seriousness, I suggest you seek immediate medical attention, because there is something fundamentally broken inside that noggin of yours.

Otherwise, just give it up, e.h. You're only crime here is that of being a persistent, unrepentent, attention-seeking asshole - and a particularly whiney, petulant one at that - and as such, I imagine most of the other commenters here couldn't be bothered to to exact even the most minimal amount of ass-kicking you so richly deserve.

Frankly, you're just not worth the effort.

Posted by COMTE | April 6, 2008 12:18 PM

Thanks Cumty,

I hope to see you at the next SLOG hour at Nuemos.

Posted by ecce homo | April 6, 2008 12:52 PM

I have MRSA in my panties.

Posted by itchy homo | April 6, 2008 1:02 PM

I hope you see me too e.h. - although we'll be at MOE'S, which, since you seem to be a bit geographically challenged on top of all your other debilities, is a couple of doors down from Neumo's. But, I'd be genuinely surprised if you possess the intestinal fortitude to show yourself AS yourself.

If, on the other hand, you can manage to dredge up even that small modicum of self-respect, I'll even go so far as to buy you a drink.

Posted by COMTE | April 6, 2008 1:45 PM

Ask. Science.

Posted by umvue | April 6, 2008 2:40 PM

Obs. as in OBSOLETE. Also fitting.

Posted by davidLBC | April 7, 2008 12:24 PM

Id be a cheap drink CumTea.

I only drink water and fruit juice with an occasional Arnold Palmer.

Posted by ecce homo | April 7, 2008 12:25 PM