Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Captain Stewart | Cling States »

Monday, April 14, 2008

Scientific American on Expelled

posted by on April 14 at 9:54 AM

It looks like the intelligent design propaganda film Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed will be opening at the Uptown and Pacific Place this weekend, and we haven’t been invited to a screening. (So much for open debate.) For now, please enjoy Scientific American’s feature package on the film.

And if you do go to see the film in the theater? For the love of god, please buy a ticket to another movie and sneak in. No need to give the producers of this film any more money than they’re already going to get from church groups and other organized suckers.

RSS icon Comments

Dont go and see it. I'm astounded its on at Pac Place, and shame on Uptown for screening it.

Posted by paul | April 14, 2008 10:07 AM

Maybe we should start organizing outside of the Discovery Institute like they're protesting outside of the local Scientology chapter...

Posted by bma | April 14, 2008 10:07 AM

I almost want to see the movie just to laugh my ass off all the way through it but not sure if I want to waste the money to do so.

Mabye I can stand in front of the theater and pass our copies of "The Orgin of Species" and tell people that "science loves you! Read and be saved everyone of you in the name of science and reason for the remission of stupidity!"

Posted by Andrew | April 14, 2008 10:08 AM

Maybe I should spell check...sorry about that gang!

Posted by Andrew | April 14, 2008 10:09 AM

Yeah, but I have it on good authority that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Jesus, the Tooth Fairy and Tinkerbell have all come out in favor of creationism.

Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty | April 14, 2008 10:12 AM

Welcome to the future, Seattle! Watch this movie now to get a feel for what will become American common knowledge in 10 to 15 years. Expect laws to be passed requiring children to learn the truth and prevent future degradation of our society. God bless America! It's about time we purged the heathens from our country!

Posted by the future! | April 14, 2008 10:13 AM

Does that mean they have to stop kicking people out who disagree with the movie's premise?

Posted by Kerry | April 14, 2008 10:18 AM

I have to blame my ex-college roommate for this. If only he'd won all of Ben Stein's money back in 1999, we'd never have been subjected to this crap.

Posted by COMTE | April 14, 2008 2:12 PM

So I'm opposed to "open debate" unless I give journalists free tickets to my event? Or at least send them personalized invitations? Now I know what journalists think "a free press" means.

Posted by David Wright | April 14, 2008 2:36 PM

@9: No, David, that's not what I'm saying. It doesn't matter to me if I can see the film for free or not (other than the fact that I don't want to give money to an ad-hoc production outfit that may be a front for a foundation I don't agree with). The Stranger pays for me to see films that are important to review if they weren't screened in advance. In fact, more and more films are not screened in advance for the press. Since this technique effectively quashes critical coverage in our 24-hour news cycle, it's generally used for films that are terrible (innumerable movies), are outside the cultural reference field of most film critics (Tyler Perry's movies, e.g.), or are riding a wave of buzz that actual reviews would only put a damper on (Snakes on a Plane).

Obviously we have a free press, and I guarantee there will be discussion of Expelled in next week's paper and on th Slog. But the producer's decision to limit advance invites to friendly groups (conservative newspapers, the National Religious Broadcasters Convention, the Archdiocese of Denver) undercuts their claim that a free and open intellectual debate is the only goal of intelligent design proponents. I'm giving you information about how coverage of this film is being shaped and guided by Premise Media, not complaining.

Posted by annie | April 14, 2008 2:53 PM

Annie @ 10: Thanks for the explanation.

Posted by David Wright | April 14, 2008 4:06 PM

Ironically, the Bible says everything that needs to be said about 'intelligent design:'

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways.

Posted by Greg | April 14, 2008 5:44 PM