Slog News & Arts

Music & Nightlife

« Hillary Clinton is Related to ... | Riding with Singh »

Friday, April 4, 2008

Reading Tonight

posted by on April 4 at 9:45 AM

31vlxLBH1SL._SS500_.jpg

A book about rapidly dying polar bears and three other readings going on tonight.

First up, at University Temple United Methodist Church, Isabel Allende is taking part in a discussion and Q&A on her newest book, Sum of Our Days, about the death of her daughter. I haven’t read this one, but a few days ago on Slog, a discussion broke out about books on grief. This is probably a good book about grief. Allende can be a spotty writer, but she’s one of the few writers I know who actually gets better when she gets emotional.

At Elliott Bay Book Company, R.V. Branham (and ‘friends’) will be reading from Curse and Berate in 69+ Languages. Note the clever use of the ‘69,’ which is both a number and a sexual position. Get it? It’s so naughty!

And at Town Hall, Gayle Greene reads from Insomiac, which is all about insomniacs. This looks like a really interesting one, to me, and also it seems like a good place to meet fellow insomniacs. There could be sleepless, bleary-eyed, slightly grumpy romance a-bloomin’, if you play your cards right tonight.

Full readings calendar, including the next week or so, here.

RSS icon Comments

But what about the bears?

Posted by Levislade | April 4, 2008 9:52 AM

Always with the bears, Levislade. As you'll see in the readings calendar, the author of The Last Polar Bear is reading up at Third Place Books. But he'll also be reading at, I believe, two other locations in town later on this week. I didn't include him today because I wanted to write about the other readings. Your precious polar bears will have their chance to shine. Just you wait, Levislade. You'll be up to your neck in polar bears!

Posted by Paul Constant | April 4, 2008 10:14 AM

The slog seems subdued withouth Dan around. Is the Stranger some sort of personality cult that collapses with his absence?

Posted by mismatched socks | April 4, 2008 10:22 AM

6ixtynin9 is also a Thai movie - a really good one.

My guess is the SLOG energy is all bizarre not just with Dan away but with Josh going away.

Posted by Will in Seattle | April 4, 2008 10:27 AM

I meant to add "Won't somebody please think of the bears????"

I was just intrigued by your lead (that's right, I'm spelling it l-e-a-d, damnit) and then confused when they weren't mentioned. You want me to click on a whole nother link? You ask a lot, my friend. Now I get it, though.

Posted by Levislade | April 4, 2008 10:28 AM

dan's in chicago spending time with his mom and sibs. even he needs a break from the snark pool.

Posted by scary tyler moore | April 4, 2008 10:39 AM