Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on Lunch Date: Love Is a Mixtape

How clever to provide two reviews for the price of one (I know, they're both free). I really like the format, Paul. More, please.

Posted by Spoogie | April 1, 2008 1:56 PM

brilliant idea!

Posted by adrian | April 1, 2008 1:59 PM

I agree, I like this feature idea a lot. Of course at first I was confused because I thought the title of the book was "Lunch Date: Love is a Mixtape."

Posted by PopTart | April 1, 2008 2:12 PM

This is a great idea. Joining a restaurant review AND a book review gets me a little moist. Please keep it up. ahem.

Posted by sanscalzone | April 1, 2008 2:18 PM

Yeah, that's about where I ended with that book too.

Posted by Tootle | April 1, 2008 2:30 PM

Huh? "... Jeremy's spoken"?? I thought it was "Jeremy spoke in [class today]".

A Rolling Stone editor who can't get the lyrics right? Der. I'd toss the book too.

Posted by city kitty | April 1, 2008 3:38 PM

when i lost someone very close to me, this book was given to me--and among the hundreds of books i read during this time--most of them grief related--this was one of my favorites. if i had read this book in a time when i wasn't dealing with loss, and such a close loss at that, i think it would have been easy for me to dismiss it--as it was for you. too many books that deal with loss do it without love or humor (or the references to music, film, pop culture, etc.), and this one did. in a society that deals so poorly with death, i am happy this book is out there...especially for those who don't dig elizabeth kubler ross or deepak chopra and the like.

god forbid you lose your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife, but if you ever do, maybe give it a re-read. see if your opinion changes.

Posted by July | April 1, 2008 3:39 PM

PS: Love this feature idea though. Please keep it up.

Posted by city kitty | April 1, 2008 3:39 PM

I have to say, I've been so happy reading all your posts to this blog, Paul. Except that time when you dissed a reading that should have been given a fair chance, but I'd like you less if you were perfect.

Posted by In MN | April 1, 2008 4:32 PM

I hate to disagree with you, Paul, but I was really moved by that book, and pretty much just plowed right through it. Sorry it didn't work for you. Glad the kabob worked for you.

Oh, and @6? That's the joke, that he's joyfully, boisterously mangling the lyrics.

Posted by Levislade | April 1, 2008 6:09 PM

P.S. I love the feature idea, though - looking forward to future installments.

Posted by Levislade | April 1, 2008 6:10 PM