Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Skillet: Robbed! | He's Having Our Baby »

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Trouble in “Paradise”

posted by on March 20 at 10:42 AM

In addition to facing more books out, it looks like Borders is in pretty serious financial trouble. I can’t tell if this is good news or not—if I’m in a place with no actual, independent bookstores, I’ve always preferred Borders for browsing over Barnes and Noble, and Borders has a better shelving system, too. Does this mean that more independent booksellers will sprout up? Doubtful. If Borders was to go under, or close a number of stores, I think their former customers will either go to B&N or online for their books, which means that this could be a lose-lose proposition.

RSS icon Comments

i worked at borders for 6 years, and probably for the last 2 (i left in 2006), those who worked in the company knew things weren't looking good. it is a shame, but i'm not sure how they are going to get out of this without laying people off (they laid off 10% of corporate workers in 2006) or massively reworking their operating procedure.

Posted by jayme | March 20, 2008 10:45 AM

They've been in financial trouble for years.

Posted by JC | March 20, 2008 10:49 AM

Borders can be hit or miss on inventory. Some stores have stuffed shelves and piles of books at the end of aisles, others seem to have a lot of "fluff" like stationery sets, wide spaces between sections, etc.

Posted by laterite | March 20, 2008 10:56 AM

The few times I've been in there, I was the only customer. Kind of sad.

Posted by keshmeshi | March 20, 2008 10:59 AM

I know from personal experience that bookstore chains can hang on for seemingly forever after they've tanked financially. How long have they been going sour? I don't get to them very often anymore; I don't much go downtown (which is a pretty good store), and the only other one I've been in in Seattle is Alderwood Mall (a terrible, terrible one).

Posted by Fnarf | March 20, 2008 11:53 AM