Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« In-Between Days | Text Message of the Week »

Monday, January 14, 2008

Music for Obama?

posted by on January 14 at 11:05 AM

Remember back in December, when Barack Obama came to Seattle and held an event at Showbox SoDo is which the Dusty 45s and Brad played? And remember how Eric Grandy and I had a short discussion about how Blue Scholars would have been a better pick for the event, but how they might not have been Obama’s first choice for political reasons? (Of course you don’t. I barely remember. Basically, we were talking about the razor’s edge a black candidate has to balance on when selecting rap music for campaign appearances.)

Anyway, check this New York Post item out:

January 14, 2008 — PRESIDENTIAL hopeful Barack Obama claims to run a clean campaign, but someone in his camp took a swipe at Hillary Clinton through the candidate’s theme song.

As Obama and his wife, Michelle, strolled triumphantly into his victory party in Des Moines, Iowa, on Jan. 3, Jay-Z’s “99 Problems” was blaring. In it, Jay raps, “I got 99 problems, but a bitch ain’t one.”

Some listeners took it as a not-so-sly reference to Hillary.

Which, by the way, does not mean it’s true. The indispensable Ben Smith can’t confirm this playing of Jay-Z actually happened.

I was there at Obama’s victory rally in Des Moines. And while I can’t say I would have recognized “99 Problems” if I’d heard it, I can say that my ears definitely would have perked up if I’d heard lyrics like “I got 99 problems, but a bitch ain’t one” playing during Obama’s entrance. I know Obama’s been entering and exiting to U2 lately, and I’m quite sure he either exited or entered to a U2 song that night. But I’ll cue up my digital audio recording of that speech and see if I can catch any previously-unnoticed Jay-Z…

UPDATE: My digital audio recording has Obama entering his victory rally in Des Moines to U2’s “City of Blinding Lights” and exiting to Stevie Wonder’s “Signed, Sealed, Delivered.” You can listen to it here.

RSS icon Comments

So the Murdoch-owned Post is reporting that Obama basically called Hillary (whom he has fundraised for) a bitch through rap despite the lack of evidence that any such thing took place. I call shenanigans.

Posted by eric102 | January 14, 2008 11:21 AM

Posted by eric102 | January 14, 2008 11:22 AM

Posted by eric102 | January 14, 2008 11:22 AM

saying eminem curses "sometimes" is like saying what we realy need is hope.

Posted by kim | January 14, 2008 11:22 AM

He didn't enter to that son. Check out one of the recommended diaries at DailyKos. One of the diarists was there and mentions the song Obama and his wife entered to. I think it was a Stevie Wonder tune, but don't hold me to that. The Krazy Klinton Kamp will stop at nothing!

Posted by Michigan Matt | January 14, 2008 11:22 AM

Sorry for the triple post, I blame Safari.

Posted by eric102 | January 14, 2008 11:23 AM

And by "son" I mean "song".

Posted by Michigan Matt | January 14, 2008 11:23 AM

Jay-Z? You want Ice T, dammit.

Posted by The Baron | January 14, 2008 11:26 AM

There is no "the" in Blue Scholars.

Posted by DOUG. | January 14, 2008 11:30 AM

@9-but there is a "the" in "The Edge"-U2's axeman. So when addressing him you should say, "How's it going, The Edge?" Oh, by the way, The Edge, you have something in your teeth.", etc.

Posted by yearning | January 14, 2008 11:35 AM

I just call him Dave.

Posted by DOUG. | January 14, 2008 11:37 AM

I thought it was "this is our country" by Mellemcamp. . .

Posted by irl500girl | January 14, 2008 11:42 AM

Bullshit.

Posted by Rotten666 | January 14, 2008 11:43 AM

. . .butchered his name a bit. . .Mellencamp or Melloncamp . . I dunno.. .

Posted by irl500girl | January 14, 2008 11:44 AM

"Dont.... stop.... thinking about Obama"

Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber | January 14, 2008 11:50 AM

There is no way in hell Obama's camp selected "99 Problems" as a soundtrack. Come on. There is no presidential campaign stupid enough to use a song with "bitch" in it.

Posted by kerri harrop | January 14, 2008 11:51 AM

Okay, I don't believe that Obama ever went anywhere NEAR "99 Problems," but I think it would be funny if he had. And I say this as a Clinton supporter. Because I have a sense of humor too. Sometimes. :)

Posted by arduous | January 14, 2008 12:04 PM

if anything, Jay's song is a better fit for the edwards campaign.

"If you grew up with holes in ya zapatos
You'd be celebrating the minute you was havin' dough"

thats some working class lyrics there.

Posted by SeMe | January 14, 2008 12:19 PM

@16 Once in a while, there's a major screwup. "99 Problems" is clearly a lie, but some fool accidentally played Captain Jack at a campaign event while she was running for Senate.

Posted by Gitai | January 14, 2008 12:22 PM

Is it just me, or is 99.9% of the supposed "discord" between Obama and Clinton actually being generated by the media? So much for fair and impartial coverage.

Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty | January 14, 2008 12:25 PM

"And while I can’t say I would have recognized “99 Problems” if I’d heard it,"

Seriously?

Posted by Abe | January 14, 2008 12:26 PM

Only a candidate who plays "O.P.P." will get my vote.

Posted by Original Andrew | January 14, 2008 12:37 PM

maybe obama should use "sexyback"

Posted by kim | January 14, 2008 12:46 PM

So, in other words, this was all spin by the Clinton camp, trying to make us feel sorry for them?

Sheesh.

Good thing you had that digital audio recording ...

Posted by Will in Seattle | January 14, 2008 1:19 PM

Actually it was the right wing fucktards at Page 6 who want you to vote for Hil so the repub can ultimately win the election. I doubt the Clinton camp really had anything to do with this one.

Posted by Jersey | January 14, 2008 1:47 PM

@24 are you kidding me? you think the clinton people even know who jay-z is?

Posted by kim | January 14, 2008 4:58 PM

Actually, one of the cable news stations, I think MSNBC, brought up the rap song and played a clip from the Obama camp with that song in the background. I am not familiar with the song because I don't listen to rap, but there was some kind of rap song playing. I assumed MSNBC knew which one it was. The have the title as 99 Problems. I doubt that Obama would have known anything about it, but he does now. Hillary has had to fire certain people in her campaign because the media got wind of things said; why doesn't Obama have to do the same? Is there a different set of standards here?

Posted by Diane Boone | January 15, 2008 9:08 AM