Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Speaking of Regrets and Pit Bu... | Quatuor pour la fin du temps: ... »

Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Murder of an Admired Woman

posted by on December 27 at 12:35 PM

Americans admired her even more than Queen Elizabeth II and as much as Thatcher.

Most Admired Woman

After Clinton and Winfrey, the remainder of the top 10 most admired women are Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (5%), actress and humanitarian Angelina Jolie (3%), first lady Laura Bush (3%), former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher (2%), former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto (2%), House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, author Maya Angelou, and Queen Elizabeth II (all at 1%).

RSS icon Comments

I admire the Queen more than Laura Bush.

Posted by Andrew | December 27, 2007 12:43 PM

Does that mean QE2 moves up on the list? You go, Lizzie!

Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty | December 27, 2007 12:48 PM

Also known as:

Women Americans Have Sort Of Heard About On The News.

It's not like it's a secret that we have a serious lack of heroes, non-fictional ones anyway (Veronica Mars! Buffy!).

I'd be hard pressed to come up with a list of living people that I admire, and most people just spout off names they've heard (The Gal with Three Boobs from Total Recall!).

It'd be interesting to come up with a real list instead that bullshit one; I'll have to give it a try.

Posted by Original Andrew | December 27, 2007 12:55 PM

But was she any good? I've been trying to figure that out when reading all of the stories, but every one is so damned vague, or the source is so ideological, I can't tell.

Dammit, I hate the media.

Posted by paul in kirkland | December 27, 2007 1:07 PM

Oh, sorry, I was shopping for pantyhose on eBay. Did I miss something?
Oh, I think I get it ... I get to vote for who I admire, right? OK, Ru Paul.

Posted by Slippery and Shiny | December 27, 2007 1:08 PM

Not surprising- friends of mine in India and Pakistan were distraught at the news. They didn't always, or even often, agree with her, but as women in their 20's in that part of the world they grew up looking up to her.

Posted by Abby | December 27, 2007 1:14 PM

Damn you, Nancy Pelosi!

Posted by NapoleonXIV | December 27, 2007 1:43 PM

Condoleeza Rice and Laura Bush belong in jail, not on some 'admired' list. I wanna barf my Christmas cookies right now.

Posted by U Gotta B. Shittinme | December 27, 2007 2:02 PM

So weird. I was just pointing out an AP photo of Bhutto on Christmas Eve to my wife and mentioning how brave I thought she was to be speaking out so forcefully against extremism, not to mention the current regime, in Pakistan...

It's weird that Pakistan isn't seen as *the* major security concern in that region -- it's a nuclear country in constant political tension with India,a huge economic nuclear power itself, and it's thought to be the current whereabouts of that bin Laden guy we're supposedly trying to find...

Posted by Peter | December 27, 2007 3:00 PM

Okay, am I the only one who is shocked that 2% of Americans know who Benazir Bhutto is? Maybe I am an elitist, but, well, Americans as a whole are pretty dumb. There's all those statistics about how few people can name all 50 states or all the rights given in the first amendment.

Posted by Julie | December 27, 2007 4:29 PM

2% of american women knew who Benazir Bhutto was?

Color me impressed, ladies.

Posted by max solomon | December 27, 2007 5:00 PM

That should be a hit list.

Posted by Mr. Poe | December 27, 2007 5:46 PM

@ 4

try listening to "the current" on cbc radio. You can download the podcast at cbc.ca/thecurrent (it aired today, Dec 27)
They did a pretty good job explaining who she was and what various people thought about her.

Posted by ams | December 27, 2007 6:41 PM