Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« More Obscene Baseball News | Bad Trip »

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Re: Pot-Laced Meatballs

posted by on December 6 at 10:41 AM

A Slog reader wants our recipe for pot butter from last Thanksgiving’s “I Can’t Believe It’s Pot Butter: Holiday Recipes with a Special Magic Ingredient.” You can use the butter in just about any recipe calling for butter or vegetable oil.

POT BUTTER

You will need…

• Double boiler or heat-safe bowl that fits inside a saucepan

• Storage container

• Rubber gloves

• Cheesecloth

• Rubber band

• 1/8 oz. bud or 1/4 oz. shake

• 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)

• Grind or crumble weed until fine.

Fill bottom pot halfway with water, place butter and weed in top pot (or heat-safe bowl). Set double boiler on stove over medium heat for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Meanwhile, prepare storage container by rubber-banding a double layer of cheesecloth over top.

Wearing rubber gloves, pour butter mixture through cheesecloth into container. Remove cheesecloth and squeeze remaining pot butter from it. The butter is hot and will burn—wear the rubber gloves.

Cover butter and place in fridge to solidify. Pot butter will keep in fridge for one month or freezer for one year. Recipe makes enough to get two people very high or four people moderately high.

RSS icon Comments

I've done that before!!! But we used like 12 sticks of butter...

Posted by Amelia | December 6, 2007 10:50 AM

A Slog reader wants our recipe for put butter

Just go ahead and write "butt putter" why doncha?

Christ, don't you people ever edit anything?

Posted by Tlazolteotl | December 6, 2007 10:58 AM

thanks Amy Kate!

Posted by Mike in MO | December 6, 2007 11:02 AM

1/8 for TWO people? this will get them beyond very high. more like SCARY high, depending of course on the quality of the weed. but i think it's a safe assumption that people on the west coast will be using top shelf ingredients.

i use about half an eighth for a small pan of brownies [jiffy mix brownies are perfect]. more than enough for 3-4 people.

Posted by brandon | December 6, 2007 11:04 AM

Uh, who even has access to that much pot to even try it on this recipe?

Posted by James | December 6, 2007 11:06 AM

Doesn't this post open the Stranger up to liability for aiding and informing people on the best way to break the law?

Posted by ecce homo | December 6, 2007 11:12 AM

James, it only calls for an eighth, which is usually the smallest amount you can buy. Brandon, yes, you're right; if two people ate the whole pan at once they'd be over the moon for a long time. Start with one brownie/cookie/baked potato/whatever. Then put them away and wait at least two hours before you decide to eat more. Read the article for the disclaimer and more advice.

Posted by Amy Kate Horn | December 6, 2007 11:22 AM

@7:
Hello novice! Ever hear of a $20 or dime bag? How about a joint?

Plus, the whole pot butter thing is so 90's...

Posted by Hal | December 6, 2007 11:35 AM

I'd be tempted to try this if I had any idea where to get weed and if I wouldn't get fired.

Posted by Greg | December 6, 2007 11:37 AM

Ooooohhhh... Where is 1/8 of weed considered a lot?????????

Posted by Hal | December 6, 2007 11:39 AM

I actually just meant that you can't buy pot in this area. It's nearly impossible to find, despite what you folks keep saying.

Posted by James | December 6, 2007 11:47 AM

James, what do you mean by "this area"?

If you're talking Seattle, pot is about as easy to find here as a double-tall Soy Latte. If you don't know anyone with access (and you probably do, you just don't know that you know) then if worse comes to worst, hang out on The Ave., Broadway, or Victor Steinbrueck park for about 30 minutes - if someone doesn't offer to sell you some in that amount of time, it's because you probably look like a cop.

Posted by COMTE | December 6, 2007 11:56 AM

@9:
So now that COMTE told you where to find it, you've just got to refuse those manditory piss tests at work. Say it's unconstitutional or an invasion of your privacy or something.

Posted by Hal | December 6, 2007 12:01 PM

Yeah, James, you have not been looking hard enough. Pot's everywhere you want to be, just like Visa. (Bring cash.)

Posted by Katelyn | December 6, 2007 12:10 PM

We tried making pot butter last year and found:
1) The gloves are important.....the butter is really hot when you go to strain the cloth.
2) It made great p-nut butter cookies.
3) The cookies made me fall more than usual while snowboarding but I didn't care.

Posted by jamesb | December 6, 2007 12:23 PM

I've been using this recipe to make chocolate chip cookies since you first posted it. Works like a charm.

After-school Special Chocolate Chip Cookies.

YUMMMMM!

Posted by monkey | December 6, 2007 12:43 PM

Oh yeah,

1/3 cup of finely ground pot for 2 sticks of butter.

I use the regular Tollhouse recipe and makes 24 cookies.

Posted by monkey | December 6, 2007 12:45 PM

COMTE:

By "this area," I did indeed mean Seattle. I'm a bit perplexed by your assertions about the Ave and Broadway, as I hang out in those places a lot and look absolutely nothing like a cop.

And it's not like I'm sitting at home wondering, "Where's the pot?" I look. I search. I ask. I haven't found any, or anyone who uses it. Since so many of you seem to, though, I can only conclude that Seattle isn't a pot-friendly city, just a pot-elitist city.

Posted by James | December 6, 2007 1:08 PM

James, how old are you and how old are your friends? It's likely a demographic issue for you. Almost everyone I know either smokes it or knows someone who does. It's truly everywhere. Do you know any college students? Artists? Skateboarders? Poets? DJs? Teachers? Ask the most creative person you know.

Posted by Amy Kate Horn | December 6, 2007 1:30 PM

@13: Thanks, but I think I'll stick to beer for now.

Posted by Greg | December 6, 2007 2:55 PM

Amy:

While I appreciate the suggestions, I'm not 80 and confined to a retirement home, and the same goes for my friends. Ignoring the fact that Seattle's a difficult city in which to make friends, I know plenty of folks in all the categories you mentioned, with the exception of skateboarders and DJs. I'm just a young, regular guy doing his thing and living his life. I moved here years ago, and figured it was time to check out this pot thing, only to find out that it was practically nonexistent here, and that I'd wasted opportunities back in my former home in the middle of the country. Everyone used pot there, and everyone was open about it. Too bad I didn't take it up there.

Posted by James | December 6, 2007 3:01 PM

If you use the shake, I recommend soaking it in very cold water first. When the water turns green, replace it with fresh water. Repeat until you've leached most of the chlorophyll out. Set it out between paper towels to dry and then use as directed. It will be just as potent (THC is not water soluble), but you'll get rid of the grassy taste.

Posted by Elmer | December 7, 2007 12:28 AM

James:
Wha? You don' know any musicians??

Posted by Hal | December 7, 2007 2:17 AM

a cooked 3.5 (1/8 oz) simply isn't enough to get 2 people very high... c'mon. you guys are lightweights when it comes to doob.

Posted by Wurm | December 7, 2007 8:43 AM

Is there a hash conversion for this recipe?

Posted by Kiru Banzai | December 7, 2007 11:18 PM