Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on Morning News

Boy, that news about the Dems giving the big A-OK to waterboarding in particular is going to take away a lot of the authority in their moral outrage this campaign.

I don't know why I'm shocked. I didn't think I had the capacity to still expect more from politicians.

Posted by Peter | December 9, 2007 9:34 AM

I agree. It shocks and repulses me.

Posted by Fnarf | December 9, 2007 10:01 AM

Sadly, not much shocks me anymore when it comes to this kind of thing.

FDR in '08.

Posted by It's Mark Mitchell | December 9, 2007 10:08 AM

For me, the revelation about Democratic leaders supporting torture doesn't just shock and suprize me... it really demoralizes me.

Why? Being that I suffered abuse in King County Jail, I see a direct correlation between the toleration of torture in Guantanamo to the permissive attitude towards civil rights abuses in the KCCF.

Since Democrats here and in DC appear to support that kind of abuse, I fear that things will only get worse... Now I know that neither democrats or republicans are willing to understand why we are supposed to protect the civil rights of the people we detain, both domestic and foriegn, for both criminal offense and suspected acts against american interests.

I guess you would have to had experienced prisoner abuse to understand why it feels like such a dark day for me.

Posted by Packratt | December 9, 2007 11:49 AM

Those missing snowboarders were asking for it.

Posted by Asshole comment. | December 9, 2007 11:55 AM

"People take calculated risks all the time in pursuit of pleasures—people die skiing into trees on clear, safe days; people are murdered walking home from nightclubs; people on bikes get hit by cars; that proverbial bus could run your ass over tomorrow."

You forgot to add "people having sex--even safe sex".

;)

It really is sad though, that they (the snowboarders) are missing, and how officials won't look for them again for the time being. Hope they had regular dental care. RIP guys.

Posted by another comment | December 9, 2007 7:54 PM