I'd prefer to think of it as enforcing the the Establishment Clause of the United States Constitution's separation of Church and State.
One religious theocracy to Rule them all.
One religious theocracy to Bind them.
One religious theocracy to Bring them all
And in the darkness blind them.
Yeah, Jim! Good show!
I just thinking of whether I was going to celebrate xmas this year. I mean is it really that important? Well now I know I am. Thanks Congress!
You know, I had totally forgotten Christmas was coming up until the House passed this resolution. Wow, they make laws AND act as a gigantic, 400-person advent calendar.
Can we all acknowledge the hypocrisy of the media jumping all over this Christmas resolution when THIS is the first I've heard of these Ramadan & Diwali resolutions?
Stop being so touchy about Jesus, people.
why the fuck are our elected representatives voting on the importance of any religion and/or holiday? what a god damned waste of time and money.
Yah, I have to appreciate him bringing this up, but why vote yes on any of these? Does anyone have balls anymore?
Art the religious nuts really that powerful?
I wish I could correct lame spelling errors after posting...
I'd like to point out that the resolutions honoring Ramadan and Diwali are equally stupid and unconstitutional.
I would also like to point out this from the resolution -
Resolved, That the House of Representatives--
(1) recognizes the Christian faith as one of the great religions of the world;
(2) expresses continued support for Christians in the United States and worldwide;
(3) acknowledges the international religious and historical importance of Christmas and the Christian faith;
(4) acknowledges and supports the role played by Christians and Christianity in the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western civilization;
(5) rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the United States and worldwide; and
(6) expresses its deepest respect to American Christians and Christians throughout the world
Until Chrismakuh is a recognized religious holiday, there shall be total war declared!
Stand up for your multi-ethnic multi-religious rights!
And don't forget Kwanza!
Greg @ 9 -- Have you compared the texts of the Ramadan and Christmas resolutions?
Anyone have the texts for comparison? Cause if they're even remotely similar, I'd have to call hypocrisy on the whole thing.
However, if the Republicans are the ones who brought up the Ramadan and Diwali resolutions first, that'd be a brilliant bluff. Well played, if so.
McDermott is well past his prime. Why isn't that a topic people talk about? It's time for a fresh face for our safe blue seat.
The Ramadan text is very similar; I pasted it in a comment on a previous thread on this topic.
In order to combat spam, we are no longer accepting comments on this post (or any post more than 45 days old).