Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on School Levies Measure Pulls Ahead...

I for one welcome our 50 percent School Levy initiative winning by 50 percent and say STICK IT to Tim Eyman.

Man, every vote DID count!

At least this initiative by our newly elected School Board member and others was constitutional, unlike every Tim Eyman initiative ever stuffed into the ballot.

Posted by Will in Seattle | November 13, 2007 5:09 PM

No thanks to you.

Posted by greenlake | November 13, 2007 7:21 PM

It's a simple matter of fairness. Yes, the state is shirking its responsibility, but schools shouldn't be held to a higher bar than sports stadia. Now, Simple Majority is ahead by 6,952 votes with about 69,000 votes left (by the state's estimate). There are an estimated 32K left in King, and other 8K+ in Snohomish. It looks very good for Simple Majority. And as Will in Seattle said, every vote did count (except maybe in King County, where they seem to be nullifying a few thousand votes).

To me, it means a mixed result in the election overall, as Eyman's to-be-overthrown I-960 is only getting 51.5% of the vote. That is still a majority, and it shows that the left's get out the vote efforts are still wanting.

Posted by Ebenezer | November 13, 2007 7:49 PM

I voted for it, but I didn't like the part that eliminated minimum voter requirements, because sometimes these elections happen in like april or may and that seems unfair for people not paying attention (let's face it, that's most people) and sometimes these include rightwing religious agendas in other parts of the state.

I voted yes anyway so I should shut my mouth.

Posted by Andrew | November 13, 2007 9:45 PM

WOO HOO! Victory!
This is an amazing achievement.

Also, regarding the loss of the validation requirement ... that was really a non-issue for two reasons. First, a levy hasn't failed because of this in a LOOOONG time. Second, all counties will be at all mail voting next year. The 'stealth' election will be impossible.

Cheers to a victory for our education system and kids in Washington... we have lots of work ahead of us!

Posted by school supporter | November 13, 2007 10:02 PM

"First, a levy hasn't failed because of this in a LOOOONG time."

Bzzt. The last two levies in Snoqualmie School District both failed.

Posted by Big Sven | November 13, 2007 10:58 PM

...by close votes

Posted by Big Sven | November 13, 2007 11:02 PM

@2 - huh? I seem to recall voting for it and asking friends to vote for it.

Posted by Will in Seattle | November 14, 2007 12:32 AM

WiS@8, I believe greenlake@2 was referring to Josh not you. Damn, do I need to go to bed.

Posted by Big Sven | November 14, 2007 1:41 AM

Well, at least there's a cherry on top of this election's shit sundae.

Posted by Greg | November 14, 2007 8:04 AM

So... does Tim Eyeman's initiative negate 4204? What a convoluted bunch of horse shit.

What kind of idiot votes yes to Eyeman and yes to 4204?

Posted by seattle98104 | November 14, 2007 9:02 AM

Oh, well, Josh does have a bizarre sense of humor.

And no, since Eyman's initiatives are all unconstitutional, this will have no impact on school levies, as they are not voted on by the state legislature (the wusses).

Posted by Will in Seattle | November 14, 2007 10:19 AM

@6&7..

I meant that a levy hasn't failed because of the VALIDATION REQUIREMENT in a long time. So the loss of the validation requirement is a non-issue.

Posted by school supporter | November 14, 2007 4:01 PM

Sorry, school supporter. I misunderstood. What's the validation requirement?

Posted by Big Sven | November 14, 2007 5:22 PM