Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Shades of Sharkansky? | An Inconvient (Electoral) Trut... »

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Images for “Proust In Central District”

posted by on November 8 at 10:37 AM

Image one:

-3.jpg

Framed by the window of my apartment’s bedroom is a cluster of townhouses that are under construction. I have no idea of the exact day or moment that these unfinished townhouses entered the view of my window; nor do I have an idea of the house or building they’re replacing. I have no idea why I have no idea of what was there before.

Image two:

-4.jpg

A block away from my apartment on 26th Avenue South and South Jackson Street stands a brand-new cluster of townhouses. This time last year, a small house stood in this place. It was white, fenceless, and gloomy. Its front yard was a mess of wild grass and dead leaves. A deaf satellite dish stood on the right side of its rotting roof. People lived in this sad place, but they never left or entered it. The only noise that came from the home was the bark of a dog that never encountered the world beyond the black bars on the windows.

As for this image, image three:

-5.jpg

This building refuses to go and to work. It just wants to be a building; a place for nothing; a space for space.

RSS icon Comments

Your final building has a hex. It owes someone something. It is not lazy. It is damned.

Posted by six shooter | November 8, 2007 10:51 AM

but how can anything seem gloomy or sad in this neighborhood with a video like this to make you feel great about your surroundings?

Posted by cochise. | November 8, 2007 11:33 AM

i watch this one when i'm feeling country/alternative:

Posted by cochise. | November 8, 2007 11:34 AM

Crazy!
You must live in my backyard... I have that same view. I've been living in the realm of 26th and Jackson only a year and this is the third such unit I have seen go up... Take one down, put 4 in. And it's obvious that another three lots visible from my house had the same thing happen within the year before I moved in.

Posted by Ryan | November 8, 2007 11:48 AM

Don't you love zoning that makes everything boringly the same?

(restraining self from obligatory post)

Posted by Will in Seattle | November 8, 2007 12:16 PM

I don't want to go outside today. thanks.

Posted by superyeadon | November 8, 2007 12:30 PM

Depressing: It seems that places that are delapidated are eye sores by definition but then they get tore down and replaced by another eye sore. We just can not win this....

These mixed use and townhouse structures are going to be looked on as avacado appliances in about 10 years.

Posted by Just Me | November 8, 2007 12:34 PM

Oh, great. Now you're talking shit about avocado appliances too? Sheesh.

Posted by Fnarf | November 8, 2007 1:04 PM

What is up with Lloyd's Rocket anyway? It seems to come and go with the seasons.

Posted by kid icarsu | November 8, 2007 1:24 PM

I love avocado appliances.

Posted by Will in Seattle | November 8, 2007 1:26 PM

Showing the view out your apartment window will only encourage the stalkers.

Posted by Cato | November 8, 2007 1:46 PM

It was blue, fenceless and gloomy. For the new four-plex, I predict purple.

Posted by scott | November 8, 2007 2:10 PM

Dude,
Stop smoking those Jamacian Torpedoes!

Posted by badbob | November 8, 2007 5:43 PM