Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Those Slippery Gay Issues | Overheard At Lab »

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Not the First

posted by on August 9 at 12:14 PM

The gay debate tonight is not the first

The HRC-Logo press release, dutifully repeated sans scrutiny by dozens of blogs and gay, straight and even anti-gay media outlets, called the forum “historic.” How, exactly, do HRC and Logo claim it is “historic”?
This event … marks the first time in history the major presidential candidates will address a live GLBT television audience…

That statement is about as true as HRC’s claim to have 700,000 members. In fact, the very same organization (under different leadership) hosted a forum of Democratic presidential candidates on July 15, 2003.

The debate in 2003 was broadcast on CSPAN, which reaches more homes than LOGO.

RSS icon Comments

Yeah but, like, nobody watches CSPAN.

Posted by The General (formerly ljg) | August 9, 2007 12:22 PM

So Dan what you are saying is that the Dems this time are more scared of dealing with Gay issues? Which with the "struggles" they have with treating gays equally is understandable I guess.

Posted by Cato the Younger Younger | August 9, 2007 12:25 PM

We watch a lot of CSPAN in our house. Never heard of LOGO.

HRC is a con. Your donation goes to their mahogany paneling and chartered executive jets, not anything real.

Posted by Fnarf | August 9, 2007 12:29 PM

I'm hosting a viewing party tonight, btw, and feel that Dan should be the guest of honor. Or the beer wench. Whichever.

Posted by The General (formerly ljg) | August 9, 2007 12:33 PM

And fancy pantsuits for Elizabeth Birch, Fnarf.

Posted by The General (formerly ljg) | August 9, 2007 12:35 PM

I see gays debating all the time.

Posted by JC | August 9, 2007 1:40 PM

That's actually what we'd call "bitching", #6

Posted by mr. ryan | August 9, 2007 2:58 PM

When C-SPAN features the Senate Roll-Call using adorable lil' figurines that make risque sex jokes, I'll watch.

And when Logo stops running episodes of Queer as Folk--the worst TV series in the history of the medium--I'll even consider paying for cable instead of stealing it.

Posted by Boomer in NYC | August 9, 2007 3:55 PM

Gays are master debaters (rim shot)

Queer as folk was good when I was in High School, but I tried watching it recently and it was terrible. Guess my tastes have changed.

Posted by brandon h | August 9, 2007 8:34 PM