Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Letter of the Day | “There’s No Situation So Tragi... »

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Walk It Out, Fosse

posted by on July 12 at 14:52 PM

While we’re walking it out&hellip

I hope I’m not the only person who notices that these ladies seem to include a proto-Humpty Dance. I say that because whenever that song comes on in some public space, I’m the only person who even knows how to do it. At any rate, I have recently been practicing these Fosse moves at home, so please beware when/if you are at tha club. I may gallop across your toes or nod “Yes” furiously. Or wear pouffe sleeves, at that time.

For any of y’all who don’t know what “walking it out” means, please take my advice and skip the original UNK video (it doesn’t show enough of the actual dance). Instead, see this walk it out contest, in which dancers of varying skill and style—uh—dance, variously.

RSS icon Comments

meet in me tha club, scholl. IT'S GOING DOWN.

Posted by angela garbes | July 12, 2007 3:03 PM

Now, this is a vast improvement over that last post. Work it out, Nick!

Posted by ka-chunk | July 12, 2007 3:09 PM

Ouaque itte août.

Posted by Nick | July 12, 2007 3:14 PM

You guys are blowing my mind left and right. How is it that I consider myself a pretty avid pop-culture consumer and this is the absolute first I'm hearing of "walking it out." Clearly I need to go straight home and turn on VH1 this instant.

Posted by Callie | July 12, 2007 3:28 PM

I had this discussion the other day, but pop culture has long ago lost touch with a certain thread of dance enthusiasts who put together some specific move, name it, and create a song around it. The thread has been underground since the 90's. The last really significant dance I remember learning directly from someone might've been the "sheik fool," but I know there have been others that pop culture will touch on for a moment—like the butterfly, the tootsie roll, etc.

There's a host of newish (though not, like, new-new) dances that you'll find in different regions—this walk it out bit, bucking, crip walkin'. Mostly the dances are far less gymnastic than they were in the early 90's, which I suppose is because of the prevalence of crunk, which is both harder and slower than a lot of the New Jack Swing stuff fifteen years ago.

Posted by Nick | July 12, 2007 3:39 PM

I watched this without sound, and my co-worker was listening to 'Into the Trees' by the Cure and it matched tempo- eerily. We were crying it was so damn funny.

Posted by Rachelina | July 12, 2007 3:58 PM

That's the sweetest video EVER!

I love 60s dancing. I love 60s everything.

Posted by monkey | July 12, 2007 5:23 PM

This made my day.

Posted by Maia | July 12, 2007 9:15 PM

You have single-handedly restored my faith in the Internet. THANK YOU for this.

Posted by rb | July 12, 2007 11:18 PM

Okay, so i watched the link too. Where would be be without youtube? I feel soooo behind the curve. Sister at 2:00 got it goin' ON. Even at 6 a.m. on Sunday on my third tab of E I couldn't match those moves.

Posted by rb | July 12, 2007 11:26 PM

My pelvis hurts from attempting to "walk it out" around the house, Fosse style.

Still, the Rich Man's Frug is my go-to video for dance-spiration.

Posted by It's Mark Mitchell | July 13, 2007 7:35 AM