Slog News & Arts

Music & Nightlife

« The New Ones | Chicago's Policing Problem »

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Even Amy Sedaris’s Press Releases Are Hilarious

posted by on July 18 at 11:38 AM

scaled.amy.jpg

Towleroad directed me to the delightful press release sent out recently by Amy Sedaris’s people. The key announcement is about the completion of the drafting of an agreement—including “numerous clauses and sub-clauses, with substantial remunerations and disbursements, and also some waivers, and some subwaivers, and also a disclosure or two, and there is one subdisclosure, as I recall, and an addendum or two,” says Lady Sedaris—that would allow Jerri Blank and the rest of Strangers With Candy’s Flatpoint High crew (I love you, Tamela!) to appear on the 500th episode of The Simpsons.

“There is any amount of mischief that Jerri Blank and her gang can cause by moving into Springfield,” says Sedaris. “I think we might be talking about plotlines involving baby farms, crystal meth labs, a prostitution ring or two, a food poisoning epidemic caused by the sale of off-brand Girl Scout cookies made illegally in Manchuria… Fun stuff like that.”

The prospect of a Sedaris-soaked Simpsons episode is indeed promising, but that’s not the only fresh delight hyped in the press release:

A line of Sedaris branded holiday wrapping paper is also in the works, that will most likely be marketed exclusively through Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, and big box retailers such as Costco, Target and Wal-mart. “There will be two basic designs,” says Sedaris. “One will feature photos of Santa, the Christmas Rabbit, half-used spools of Scotch-brand tape, packs of ‘AA’ Energizer batteries, a few broken ornaments, those mini-liquor bottles that are America’s favorite stocking stuffers — and of course photos of me. And the other design, aimed more at the kids market, will feature photos of Santa, the Christmas Rabbit, myself of course, some holly maybe, or maybe not, bowling pins exploding in a strike or a spare, and photos of large checks written by various unmarried aunts, uncles, and sundry parties. All on a background of tens and twenties.”

Finally, there’s the delightful closing line of the official Amy Sedaris bio:

She is the sister of well-known Greek-American radio announcer David Sedaris, a recent subject of scandal.

Read the whole thing here.

RSS icon Comments

But the 500th episode of the Simpsons would be in like two years. . .The season finale this year was the 400th, I think. I don't like finding out about things two years in advance, unless it's the apocalypse.

Posted by Ari Spool | July 18, 2007 12:16 PM

what scandal?

Posted by G$ | July 18, 2007 12:16 PM

And, again, I'm left scratching my head waiting for her to be funny.

Posted by Chris B | July 18, 2007 12:22 PM

Man, The Strangers With Candy movie was horrible. Like italicized horrible.

Posted by Sally Struthers Lawnchair | July 18, 2007 12:28 PM

I agree--the SWC movie was a bomb. A sad bomb.

Posted by David Schmader | July 18, 2007 12:32 PM

Anyone have a working link to the Florrie Fisher video "The Trip Back" which was the inspiration for SWC?

A reference link (there's a slightly NSFW image on the top of the page):

All the video links are dead and I must see this video.

Posted by JC | July 18, 2007 12:38 PM

Dina Martina is funnier, better looking and wears her lipstick with far more panache.... therefor, I won't pay the least bit of attention to Amy Sedaris.The little I've seen of her, I found her extremely unfunny.

Posted by come again | July 18, 2007 1:18 PM

That's hilarious, Orlando.

Posted by Jerri | July 18, 2007 1:20 PM

SWC Movie was memorably bad, but the show was memorably good; good enough to own, even.

"First of all the retarded don't own the night. Nobody does. "

Genius.

Posted by jackie treehorn | July 18, 2007 1:46 PM

alas, i believe this "press release" is a joke. and i mean, one not produced by amy herself.

Posted by miss spoilsport | July 18, 2007 1:49 PM

Ugh. Dina Martina? Really? Hasn't that schtick gotten old to EVERYONE? I really wish her "15 minutes of fame" had really only lasted 15 minutes.

Posted by diggum | July 18, 2007 2:26 PM

#9 -- THEN THEY COME AT YOU ALL FISTS AND ELBOWS

"Who Wants Cake" is probably my favorite episode.

When Stephen Colbert tells her the retarded like shiny things then taps on her braces with his ruler, hahah.

Posted by fun shaped | July 18, 2007 2:37 PM

g$ @2, the david sedaris scandal is about him blending fiction into his non-fiction. hence, he is being accused of "lying" ho hum.

Posted by ellarosa | July 18, 2007 11:05 PM

g$ @2, david was accused of "lying" because he blended fiction into his nonfiction. ho hum

Posted by ellarosa | July 18, 2007 11:46 PM

i don't know how that happened. sorry.

Posted by ellarosa | July 18, 2007 11:48 PM