Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on Confirmed: Librarians are Super

Somehow I feel that it is wrong to post these questions.

Yeah, he's great, wow.

But some asian guy who is worried about his ladies getting snatched up by white guys might not have wanted that posted.

Is this supposed librarian allowed to release such things?

Posted by fun shaped | July 18, 2007 2:07 PM

Living in Hawaii, I see lots of white men/asian women couples, and very few asian men/white women couples. I have some ideas as to why this is:

Asian women are raised to be docile and adoring. Many men like a subservient woman. Asian men are raised to be domineering towards women, so white women who are raised to be outspoken and assertive are a real turn off.

I wait tables, and nothing irks me more than the 60-ish, fat and bald white guy with the 20-ish thin, pretty and adoring asian woman. He orders for her and decides when she's done her food (once, I asked the table if they were finished with their food; she said yes and started to hand me the plate; he said no and she took it back and promptly started eating).

Also annoying is that in many asian households, the men are king, to the point where I see little boys telling their moms what to do.

Just goes to show, every culture has both beauty and bullshit.

Posted by Dianna | July 18, 2007 2:19 PM

Interesting points, Dianna.

Posted by fun shaped | July 18, 2007 2:25 PM

Have you hugged a librarian today? (You should probably ask permission first though.)

Posted by Sylvie | July 18, 2007 2:28 PM

@1, the person who asked the question is still totally anonymous. I really don't see any problem with this post at all.

Posted by craig | July 18, 2007 2:29 PM

@5 - I believe that it is anonymous. I'm just being alarmist.

Posted by fun shaped | July 18, 2007 2:55 PM

Can we read Jared's response to the Asian chicks query?

Posted by Gloria | July 18, 2007 3:24 PM

A-fuckin'-men!

Posted by Mr. Poe | July 18, 2007 3:30 PM

Peltier effect.

From the Journal of Parapsychology:

There were two sites where sudden drops of temperature were reported. This may have resulted from a voltage increase between two dielectric plates, for example, slabs of limestone below the site that are separated by a thermoelectric material. This process, known as the Peltier effect, is associated with increased heat below ground.

Posted by MvB | July 18, 2007 5:24 PM

Diana, as a white girl dating an Asian guy, I'd have to say that's a generalization of a WIDE variety of people under the umbrella "asian" (East Indian? Chinese? Korean? Philipino? Thai?). I know plenty of inter-racial couples, and from my experience all you need to do to date a girl of any "race" is have a lot of confidence and a little luck.

Also, from the MANY Asian mothers I have met, none of them seem the type to be cowed by a badly behaved child.

As for us, we are roughly the same age and he is very much a new age guy. He is also a Nurse. So there you go, breaking stereotypes is fun!

Posted by Cinders | July 18, 2007 7:56 PM

i've seen them referred to as " ley lines", and sites located on the ground above intersecting ley lines are prone to paranormal activity--or so i've read...it's just underground streams.

Posted by ellarosa | July 19, 2007 12:00 AM

I was raised to be docile and adoring? My boyfriend is going to be extremely surprised to hear that.

Posted by Gloria | July 19, 2007 10:13 AM