Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on The Big Gay Bout

You're dating a Rollergirl?! I'm so jealous!

Posted by Katelyn | June 8, 2007 2:18 PM

That Miss Fortune chick is so hot.

Posted by ljg | June 8, 2007 2:19 PM

You're god damned right.

Posted by Carollani | June 8, 2007 2:40 PM

Big Gay Bash!!!!

Posted by JB | June 8, 2007 3:05 PM

I think it was her I saw doing a promotional guest appearance at the Stay Up Late Show at CHAC. The hostess asked everybody on the team their occupations and when she got to Miss Fortune and she answered "roboticist" you could hear a collective sigh as a roomful of nerds all simultaneously felt their hearts skip a beat. It was a magical moment.

Posted by flamingbanjo | June 8, 2007 3:10 PM

I donít know if you guys know this, but the Rat City Rollergirls are volunteers. They donít get paid to play; in fact, they PAY for their own gear, uniforms, away-game lodging, etc.

It's an outrage! Everytime I go bowling, the jerk behind the counter tells me no, he will not sponsor me and yes I will have to pay for my shoe rental.

Because of the strain on the pocketbooks of these very passionate athletes, they have a lot of fundraisers to subsidize their activities.

Hot chicks on wheels is great and all but it's easily the most forced hipster pseudo sport of the last five years. Kickball is less ridiculous.

Posted by PdxRitchie | June 8, 2007 3:16 PM

We need hipster dodgeball. I'd pay to see that shit.

Posted by keshmeshi | June 8, 2007 3:27 PM

@6:

Can you really say it's "forced" when it sells out every month and has spread across the whole country as fast as, as... as fast as something spreadable spreading really quickly...?

I mean, fucking Sioux Falls South Dakota has a league...

Posted by John At Work | June 8, 2007 3:50 PM

PdxRitchie: Have you been? It's really fun. And I saw a lot of other people enjoying themselves there, too. I told myself I would give it a try once, because it smacked of "new hipster fad" to my skeptical eyes too (sorry, Carollani.) But I got into it really fast. Plus, it has roots in the 1930's, so it's not this brand-new made up thing.

My kid likes it too, and technically she's not a hipster, because she's six.

I'm going again!

Posted by SJ | June 8, 2007 4:00 PM

since my friend is the swinging Pam Opticon and her best guy Geoff Carter takes amazing photos of the RCRG's I'm assuming you took this picture (nice work)... two words... photo credit?

Posted by bijoubaby | June 8, 2007 4:54 PM

PdxRitchie has no idea what he/she is talking about.

Go back into your cave dumbass.

Posted by seattle98104 | June 8, 2007 8:20 PM

Easy there seattle90210, it's just roller derby we're talking about. No reason to get hostile.

Posted by PdxRitchie | June 9, 2007 1:25 PM