Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« The Day the Sixties Began | Stranger Staff Misconceptions »

Friday, June 8, 2007

Passionate About Passions

posted by on June 8 at 14:40 PM

Can I just say how much I love Passions? I work from home, so I can have this trash on all the time, and the best parts are when Endora Lenox is the main focus. For those of you too lazy to follow the link, Endora is the child of the local witch, the product of a drunken one-night stand. That would be high camp all by itself, but when you add in that the 4-year-old girl who plays her is the most unresponsive, unemotive actress to ever exist, it becomes gloriously bad. Seriously, she makes Brian Bonsall look like Sir Laurence Olivier. As she refuses to speak, her dialogue is done through thought bubbles, and as she refuses to do much aside from sit there like a lump, cheap, cheap special effects are used to illustrate her witchcraft. Please see the below video, and just try telling me this child’s casting was not an act of serendipity that elevates soap opera to a new level of ridiculousness.

RSS icon Comments

Oh...dear.

Posted by Kate | June 8, 2007 2:50 PM

Wow....wow. That looks like the amature effects you'd see on youtube. I need to start watching Passions when I'm high.

Posted by tvaddict | June 8, 2007 2:51 PM

That's a real show? Like, on television and stuff? Wow indeed.

Posted by Levislade | June 8, 2007 2:54 PM

Is it any wonder that the general public is so obsessed with Paris Hilton? Look at the idiotic drivel that passes for entertainment these days.

Posted by SB | June 8, 2007 3:03 PM

Can we please talk about The Blackmailer???

Posted by Nick | June 8, 2007 3:04 PM

It was Spike's (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) favorite show. He used to watch it with Buffy's mom.

I am such a nerd.

Posted by elswinger | June 8, 2007 3:06 PM

Passions is ending soon. Soap fans need to jump over to the As The World Turns summer romance between Luke and Noah!

Posted by skinny | June 8, 2007 3:11 PM

Elswinger, that's the only reason I ever watched Passions: it had the Spike seal of approval.

Posted by Jessica | June 8, 2007 3:17 PM

@6: Don't forget Giles!

"I watched Passions with Spike. Let us never speak of it."

Right there with you, Nerdy.

Posted by Kate | June 8, 2007 3:19 PM

There's a great telenovela on Univision right now called "Duelo de Passiones"(Duel of Passions) from Mexico. Each of the main families are cowboys, soldiers, or witches. The witches live in a cave with a hot mentally challenged son that the women from the other families can't keep their hands off of. This past week he left the ranch to go to luchador school.
Another main storyline takes place in the Puebla prison, breaking up the usual trysts, feuds, horseback riding and magic spells for sort of a Mexican Oz(the HBO series).

Posted by Anne-Marie | June 8, 2007 3:22 PM

That was AMAZING. I knew of the camp that is Passions, but having a child actor with thought bubbles instead of spoken lines just blew my mind.

Posted by Callie | June 8, 2007 3:31 PM

elswinger, others:
I never heard of a thing called "passions" *until* Spike mentioned it, and I always thought (until about 5 seconds ago) that it was a fake show, one they made up to use for Spike's dialogue about watching daytime TV. It's real? My heavens.

Posted by torrentprime | June 8, 2007 3:34 PM

And what you have to love is that her name is Endora...Uhh, wasn't that the name of the mom of Samantha on Bewitched?

Posted by thecandyqueen | June 8, 2007 4:41 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by David Schmader | June 8, 2007 4:50 PM

Once, years ago, they actually had DR. BOMBAY come to take care of a sick witch. Camp at its best.

Posted by Kim | June 9, 2007 1:50 AM