Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« More Sprawling Contradictions.... | This Weekend at the Movies »

Friday, June 15, 2007

Gay Parenting = Child Abuse

posted by on June 15 at 14:14 PM

So says conservative radio hater Michael Savage.

“Savage Nation’ appears on about 350 stations, reaching an estimated eight million listeners weekly…. [Savage] was up to his usual, well, savage tricks on Savage Nation last week, again calling gay parenting “child abuse,” echoing remarks he originally made during the February 26 program.

This time, Weiner’s savagery was unleashed in response to remarks by Republican presidential candidate and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney. Romney, whose stance on gay issues apparently varies depending on which office he’s currently seeking, responded to a mother from New Hampshire who asked about his opposition to gay marriage by referring to same-sex parenting as part of “the American way” and an example of “freedom of choice.”

….

To Savage Weiner, however, the only “proper answer” for Romney would have been to tell Ms. Fish that her parenting is “child abuse.” What is needed, according to Savage Weiner, is “a conservative candidate all the way who would say to a gay woman: ‘You know what? I’m very sorry for your children. I think it’s child abuse for you to raise children.’ “

Hm. If you’re going to call gay parenting “child abuse,” what the hell do you call this?

Father gets 30 years for daughter’s scalding death

No one had a good word for the father of 10-year-old Jordan Gonsioroski when he was sentenced Thursday to 30 years in prison for her death caused by scalding bath water last summer in their Blaine home.

“If it were up to me, I would do the same thing to him that he did to her,” Jordan’s mother, Amanda Johnson, said after the sentencing in Anoka County District Court…

Before imposing punishment, the judge said he couldn’t determine who actually immersed Jordan in the scalding water in her father’s mobile home July 15 because Gonsioroski and his girlfriend, Meier, gave conflicting accounts when they each pleaded guilty.

Yes, well, at least Jordan had proper male/female role models, and not a pair of abusive-by-definition gay parents. That would have been a crime.

RSS icon Comments

I wish Nazi's only existed for the people who listen to Michael Savage's radio show. Yeah I said it.

Posted by Mr. Poe | June 15, 2007 2:33 PM

It seems that an email campaign may be in order, and Dan, you seem just the guy to start it - given your access to the masses.
Why not forward Mr. M. Savage all these stories of horrible hetero parents? One at a time. There's a huge backlog we could all flood him with, and it seems like 2-3 per week (that we hear of)to continue the campaign.
I'd be happy to forward horrendous hetero stories to this guy. We could at least fill his inbox w/ his ignorance.

Posted by scoured | June 15, 2007 2:50 PM

Good God- My parents used to listen to that garbage. I would have to hear it in the background, making my blood boil with rage for him every time he spoke. My mother finally began to agree with me and my father can't listen to him when I'm over because I end up having heated arguments at the radio.

Posted by Wes | June 15, 2007 3:10 PM

hmmm... this isn't that surprising. people on this board -- including stranger staff -- have suggested that raising your child to be a religious fanatic should be considered a form a child abuse. it is a natural conclusion that if you feel something is wrong (being gay or being a religious fanatic) then you would view teaching that to someone -- especially children -- as wrong.

for the record, i don't think either is child abuse, and this savage character seems to be a misguided jerk when it comes to addressing this issue. fortunately, i believe that him being a jerk will only help the cause of justice. they are getting more and more afraid...

Posted by infrequent | June 15, 2007 3:11 PM

Watch Jesus Camp and come back with that first paragraph, infrequent.

Posted by Mr. Poe | June 15, 2007 3:26 PM

Ok. I'm feeling stupid now. I'm sure I should have known this, but I didn't....

So, I google for Michael Savage in Seattle, to see which scary station is playing him. Found it. AM 770 KTTH which goes by the tag, "THE TRUTH". Scary place. Flags everywhere, all the typical players in the lineup... Rush, Savage, Medved, etc etc.

What I didn't expect to see was that in fact, KTTH, 770, THE TRUTH.... well, it's the "Home of the Seattle Sonics".

Now, I don't hold with 99.9 percent of conspiracy theories, cuz it just doesn't work for me. But sometimes, when you see a bunch of elements that just come together and scream synchronicity (Bennett et al, right wing hate campaign financing, etc etc).... well... it makes one pause. And sigh. In disgust. But not in surprise.

Posted by scottjon | June 15, 2007 3:42 PM

I think if someone wants to broaden the traditional definition of child abuse, lets just try "raising close-minded children".

Posted by Angela | June 15, 2007 3:43 PM

I feel sorry for all the kids stuck in cars who are forced to listen to Michael Savage's hateful radio show because their parents are backwards ignorant scared assholes. That's child abuse.

Posted by Kristi in Kitsap | June 15, 2007 3:49 PM

it's true, i do need to watch jesus camp. i think i went to one in high school, though, and i survived. i would agree it was difficult, though. it was also difficult to not qualify for financial aid because of my parents money, but them refusing to co-sign a student loan unless i went to the religious school of their choosing. without financial aid, community college it was!

but unless someone is teaching illegal behavior, i think it should be allowed. which makes this savage radio guy seem out there to me.

despite that, i'm not surprised at all he said what he said given the rhetoric we've been hearing as of late. and people here have been exposed to this line of thinking previously...

Posted by infrequent | June 15, 2007 3:55 PM

Mr. Poe: word.

That movie freaked me the fuck out.

Posted by Carollani | June 15, 2007 4:26 PM

Are you kidding me? Michael Savage (nee Michael Weiner), the closet case who used to write love letters to Allan Ginsburg, is still spouting homophobic bullshit? I felt a bit of pity for the 18 year-old who was outed earlier this week, but we need to come at this piece of shit with guns-a-blazing. I'm so fucking tired of self-loathing homos working as mouthpieces for the extreme right. Seriously, suck a dick already and shut the fuck up!

Posted by chrisdiani | June 15, 2007 5:02 PM

Posted by chrisdiani | June 15, 2007 5:03 PM

I often listen to conservative talk radio. Rush's show can be provocative. Michael Medved is a reasonably fair debater and is worth listening to, even for those who don't buy into his views.

Michael Savage, on the other hand, is completely UNLISTENABLE. Tune in sometime (3pm weekdays, 770 AM) and see if you don't agree. He is even more grating than his callers: the "angry white male" demographic. He's nakedly xenophobic and homophobic, a populist megalomaniacal huckster.

Michael Savage is way loonier than anyone on the far left (Michael Moore, Noam Chomsky, Rosie O'Donnell, Cindy Sheehan). This could be good for liberals, come election day.

Posted by Savage Hate | June 15, 2007 6:29 PM

One of my favorite childhood memories is of my mother doing the dishes in the afternoon while listening to Rush Limbaugh. She listened to it so it would make her angry, and therefore she would take it out on the dishes so she could scrub harder.

Posted by Ari Spool | June 15, 2007 6:38 PM

Ari, when I was a kid my mom and I would do dishes together while listening to a station called KFAB in Omaha.

In those days it called itself "your good neighbor in the midwest" and played mostly easy listening-ish stuff (Nat King Cole, Helen Reddy, stuff like that) and would broadcast the U of Nebraska football games.

Nowadays Mom has a dishwasher and KFAB is all hate talk, all the time.

As far as Weiner goes, I can't imagine why anyone would listen to him. The constant anger and whiney grating voice are too much to take. Life's too short for that shit.

Posted by Catalina vel-duray | June 15, 2007 11:59 PM

As of June 25, 2007 Savage is no longer on KTTH am770 from 1-3pm...replaced by Glenn Beck...
Yes, Savage is about half-crazy, wrong on many things, but entertaining.

Posted by Tom Jones | June 25, 2007 10:41 AM

Yes, Savage is about half-crazy, wrong on many things, but entertaining.

Posted by Tom Jones | June 25, 2007 10:42 AM

I have scanned through your comments concerning Michael Savage. Why is that liberals always boast about upholding the values of free speech, tolerance, and the right to express one's political thought, until of course you disagree with a liberal? Why then of course you are labeled anything from "hateful, intolerant, bigoted, dangerous, or crazy religious." Hmm. Liberals used to say "I may disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death your right to say it." I graduated from Evergreen State College, the most liberal school out here in the Northwest. While I often disagreed (on point and respectfully) with my fellow students and faculty, I had quite open discussions concerning our different points of view. Why is it now days, when Liberals don't like what someone says (i.e.: they have become dangerous, intolerant, bigoted and the like according to you) the liberals seek to ban that person from speaking publicly (fairness doctrine - apply it to television then), and they seek to destroy them personally. Censorship by any other name is censorship. Hate by any other cause is hate. We're all Americans. Did we create this divide, or did the political parties? As for the Nazi comment, be careful what you wish for. Hitler created the Nazi party to eliminate his declared "dangerous and bigoted religious freaks" in the Jews. Liberal or Conservative. Right Wing or Left. It no longer matters. If you have the capacity, or want - to destroy another person personally or professionally, or remove them from public discourse, then you have become the one thing Liberals were supposed to protect against. Free speech - let it ring.

Posted by Dan | June 29, 2007 11:53 AM

I have scanned through your comments concerning Michael Savage. Why is that liberals always boast about upholding the values of free speech, tolerance, and the right to express one's political thought. Until of course you disagree with a liberal, then you are labeled anything from "hateful, intolerant, bigoted, dangerous, or crazy religious?" Hmm. Liberals used to say "I may disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death your right to say it." I graduated from Evergreen State College, the most liberal school out here in the Northwest. While I often disagreed (on point and respectfully) with my fellow students and faculty, I had quite open discussions concerning our different points of view. Why is it now days, when Liberals don't like what someone says (i.e.: they have become dangerous, intolerant, bigoted and the like according to you) they seek to ban that person from speaking publicly, and they seek to destroy them personally. Censorship by any other name is censorship. Hate by any other cause is hate. We're all Americans. Did we create this divide, or did the political parties? As for the Nazi comment, be careful what you wish for. Hitler created the Nazi party to eliminate his declared "dangerous and bigoted religious freaks" in the Jews. Liberal or Conservative. Right Wing or Left. It no longer matters. If you have the capacity, or want - to destroy another person personally or professionally, or remove them from public discourse, then you have become the one thing Liberals were supposed to protect against. Free speech - let it ring.

Posted by Dan S. | June 29, 2007 11:54 AM