Slog News & Arts

Music & Nightlife

« African Cinema Three | Now Open »

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Call & Response

posted by on June 12 at 13:46 PM

On Sunday, Joe Lieberman went on TV:

“I think we’ve got to be prepared to take aggressive military action against the Iranians to stop them from killing Americans in Iraq,” Lieberman told Bob Schieffer. “And to me, that would include a strike into… over the border into Iran, where we have good evidence that they have a base at which they are training these people coming back into Iraq to kill our soldiers.”

Today, General Wesley Clark had a response:

Senator Lieberman’s saber rattling does nothing to help dissuade Iran from aiding Shia militias in Iraq, or trying to obtain nuclear capabilities. In fact, it’s highly irresponsible and counter-productive, and I urge him to stop.

This kind of rhetoric is irresponsible and only plays into the hands of President Ahmadinejad, and those who seek an excuse for military action. What we need now is full-fledged engagement with Iran. We should be striving to bridge the gulf of almost 30 years of hostility and only when all else fails should there be any consideration of other options. The Iranians are very much aware of US military capabilities. They don’t need Joe Lieberman to remind them that we are the militarily dominant power in the world today.

Only someone who never wore the uniform or thought seriously about national security would make threats at this point. What our soldiers need is responsible strategy, not a further escalation of tensions in the region. Senator Lieberman must act more responsibly and tone down his threat machine.

RSS icon Comments

How about making Joe Lieberman an official enemy of the Slog? For christ sake, the sanctimonious twerp is war mongering, AND he voted No on the Gonzalez vote of no confidence. Not that that would really hit him where it hurt, but as a principled thing, he's causing more harm to the world than Robin Williams and Joel Connelly.

Posted by Jude Fawley | June 12, 2007 2:01 PM

Robin Williams?

Mrs. Doubtfire?

Did I miss something?

Posted by Tron Javolta | June 12, 2007 2:17 PM
Posted by Mahler Longfellow | June 12, 2007 2:18 PM
Posted by Mahler Longfellow | June 12, 2007 2:18 PM

I'm not getting the Robin Williams connection....

Posted by Tron Javolta | June 12, 2007 2:19 PM

Holy shit. I commented. Browser crashed. Reloaded....Didn't see my comment.. So I tried to remember what I said... Then when I did, my post popped up, and now I just got the connection.

I'm going to go get some coffee... y'all just do this one without me.

Posted by Tron Javolta | June 12, 2007 2:23 PM

Will Joe Lieberman, George W Bush and Dick Cheney personally lead the charge into Iran? I may be for it in that case.

Posted by Original Andrew | June 12, 2007 2:26 PM

I support a covert military operation to drop Joe Lieberman on Iran. From about 30,000 feet.

Posted by Fnarf | June 12, 2007 2:38 PM

Fnarf you are too kind. Set him in the country and let him get a little Mogadishu type action. I am sure the Iranians are down.

Posted by Original Monique | June 12, 2007 2:44 PM

Let me remind all the Gore supporters that if Gore had actually become president, this idiot Lieberman would now be our vice-president.

Food for thought.

Posted by SDA in SEA | June 12, 2007 3:01 PM

@7 - cowards never lead charges, so the answer is ... NO.

Posted by Will in Seattle | June 12, 2007 3:33 PM

Tron, Robin Williams is an enemy of the Slog (see right column on slog). I was saying that if he is an enemy, Lieberman should REALLY be an enemy.

Posted by Jude Fawley | June 12, 2007 3:34 PM

@10 - If it came down to Lieberman or Cheney for veep, and I didn't have some magical third option of a vengeful god smiting them both, I think I'd pick Lieberman )although I wouldn't be happy about it).

Posted by Hernandez | June 12, 2007 3:36 PM

but .. isn't the enemy of my enemy my friend?

after all, that's why we trained and armed and supplied al-Qaeda and the Taliban in the first place ...

Posted by Will in Seattle | June 12, 2007 3:42 PM

@10 - If Gore had won, and Lieberman went this nuts on the job as V.P., we can at least hope Gore would have picked a new running mate in 2004.

For now, I just hope Harry Reid strips Lieberman of his leadership roles and kicks him out of the Dem's caucus.

Posted by spencer | June 12, 2007 4:39 PM

I hear that, Will. And didn't we support the artist formerly known as the Muhajadin? Against the Soviets? Who are now Russian. Who are not really huge enemies with Iran right now either.

Posted by Lloyd Clydesdale | June 12, 2007 5:12 PM

These people can't wait for total annihilation of this planet so they can have a better (after)life. Someone better tell the stockholders there's no cash dividends in heaven (or Hell).

Posted by Who | June 13, 2007 10:32 AM

Posted by Who | June 13, 2007 10:32 AM

Posted by Who | June 13, 2007 10:33 AM

I'm sorry about the fucking triplicate. I'm sorry about the fucking triplicate. I'm sorry about the fucking triplicate...

Posted by who | June 13, 2007 10:40 AM