Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on The Morning News

What is your source material for that Fun Star Wars fact? I've never heard that one before and I'm dying to hear the whole back story.

Posted by kid icarus | June 6, 2007 8:24 AM

Re: Republicans - you missed the second half of the headline: "number of Democrats also in decline." All in all I'd still say that's a good thing; more people thinking for themselves and refusing to be shackled to one of these two narrow sets of political positions.

Posted by Levislade | June 6, 2007 8:37 AM

It's silly, but I've gone on a TV boycott for the past week. I miss the 6 o'clock news and the occasional Wheel of Fortune, but in its place, 24/7 of Lynch's DVD Dynamic:01 (quasi source material for Inland Empire) has been interesting-the sound is often turned down.

Posted by Garrett | June 6, 2007 8:50 AM

Iíve been following the story of Iraq War vet and now former US Marine Adam Kokesh, and I have to say that Iím impressed.

Heís done some pretty gutsy stuff to protest the war like telling all of the soldiers in a base cafeteria in Germany that theyíre welcome to join the peace movement and getting arrested while demonstrating at the US Capitol. He also held up a sign counting the times Gonzales said ďI donít recallĒ in Congressional testimony.

Even though I think the war will go on for at least another four to six years, the fact that members of the military who truly care about their rights and their fellow citizens are speaking out is a very positive development.

Somewhat predictably, the right-wing bloviators seem at a loss on how to smear him. Itís one thing to swift boat a grieving mother whose son was killed in Iraq, but itís quite another to bash a veteran who could easily snap their chickenhawk necks.

You can learn more about Adam here:

He also happens to be smokiní hot and Iíve read those arms are even bigger in person. What? Iím just sayiníÖ

Posted by Original Andrew | June 6, 2007 9:01 AM

@ 1-

I am a huge nerd for Star Wars. These are mostly just things I've picked up over time, verified by the interweb.

Sadly, I memorized the entire Star Wars encyclopedia in middle school in lieu of doing homework.

Posted by Jonah | June 6, 2007 9:04 AM

"Oceania is not an enemy," Bush said, seeking not to inflame a heated exchange of rhetoric between Washington and Oceania. "There needs to be no military response because we're not at war with Oceania. ... Oceania is not a threat. Nor is the missile defense we're proposing a threat to Oceania."

Posted by phenics | June 6, 2007 9:39 AM

Kokesh seems like a great fellow, but why do his arms look like legs? Freakish.

Posted by Fnarf | June 6, 2007 9:56 AM

@ 5

David Lynch? I thought Lucas wanted Spielberg, but couldn't get him because Lucas had pulled out of the guilds.

Posted by Will of HA | June 6, 2007 9:58 AM

According to IMDB, Cronenburg was also offered the Director's job. Who the hell wasn't?

Posted by Levislade | June 6, 2007 10:16 AM

Adam Kokesh is SO FUCKING HOT I spot a little every time I see him. I just want to rub his sore shoulders and bring him beer and... *sigh* excuse me, brb.

Posted by monkey | June 6, 2007 10:24 AM

Yay for capitalism. I hope that farmer soaks the suckers for every penny he can. I mean, it's about time an average joe gets rich off 9/11 instead of just Hallliburton.

Posted by Gitai | June 6, 2007 10:33 AM

Fnarf @ 7,

Iím cautiously optimistic that Kokesh will be able to show Congress and the public that a significant number of the troops want out of Iraq in addition to many American civilians and Iraqis. Heís educated, telegenic, media savvy and possibly the Pentagonís worst nightmare as Wonkette noted. He could be hero material in a country that desperately needs one.

Of course I could be wrong since I had a lot of hope for Ohioís Paul Hackett and look how that turned out, but whatevs.

As for the arms, dude is pumped up Ė ROWWWRRRR!

Posted by Original Andrew | June 6, 2007 10:38 AM

Dang. I would've loved to see Cronenburg's take on the Emperor. Creepy.

Posted by keshmeshi | June 6, 2007 10:40 AM

Agreed with Original Andrew, this guy is the real deal. Even the VFW is on his side.

And the fact he's hot only adds to the yum factor. Those arms do it for me too... A pic of him shirtless would be incredible.

Posted by Dono | June 6, 2007 10:48 AM

@ 13
Or Jabba the Hutt... can you imagine?

Posted by kid icarus | June 6, 2007 11:40 AM

Dono @ 14,

I'm sure Wonkette's spies are feverishly working on it.

I was going to joke about spending a long weekend as his drill sergeant, but Iím just not gonna go there ; )

Posted by Original Andrew | June 6, 2007 11:57 AM

That video was hugely viral five years ago. Welcome to the internet.

Posted by roboto | June 6, 2007 1:01 PM

Pointing out how old things on the Internet are was hugely viral four years ago.

It's a big Internet, dude, with a lot of memes; we don't all have the time that you apparently do to see every single one of them.

Posted by Levislade | June 6, 2007 2:02 PM

actually, that video, like the first trilogy itself, has been upgraded from its original format w extra special effects and blue screen stuff. the AT-ST at the beginning is new, as are the extra speeder bikes.

Posted by jz | June 6, 2007 2:09 PM

Winnie Mandela - you or I would have recieved the same treatment at the Canadian border, had she made it that far. I'm not negating the work she's done, but why should her celebrity make any difference?

Posted by Dougsf | June 6, 2007 2:21 PM

Yeah, I saw the video pre-Phantom Menace (I think. I just posted it cuz not everyone in the universe has seen the video before.

Posted by Jonah S | June 6, 2007 2:37 PM