Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Demand Side | Pot Brownies: The Silent Kille... »

Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Art of Burial

posted by on May 17 at 14:12 PM

Back in the middle of last year, the dub genius Burial had this haunting image on his Myspace music account.
case2m.jpg

Two or so months ago, I came across this image while looking through an art magazine:
titulo6_bohr2.jpg
James Casebere is the photographer. He lives in Manhattan. A mountain bike hangs upside down from the ceiling of his studio. On his studio’s tables stand miniature models of the halls and cells he uses to produce photographs of spaces that are not for humans but the spirits of dead humans.
casebere.jpg
Two weeks ago, I sent an email to Burial, who lives in South London, and asked for his position on the American photographer. Last week, I received this response:

yeah i love james casebere!.. i dont know much about art but i loved his images the moment my dad showed me them when i was younger. it is my dream to one day have a real james casebere photo on my wall! ive got a book of his that i look at and i make a lot of my music with those pictures next to me. i get pulled into those solitary empty spaces and i dream of the kind of emptiness that he has in his photos. in my dreams my music would be echoing through those rooms. i wonder who he is?.. im reluctant to find out any real information about people who r important to me.

Not I. I want to know everything about Burial. I want to know that in the dreams he has at night (moon shining in the window of his room) his music echoes through Casebere’s empty spaces.

RSS icon Comments

Charles...seriously. You're a creep.

Posted by Bigger Plates | May 17, 2007 2:27 PM

charles is a genius. a mad genius. more charles, less Bigger Plates.

Posted by charles_fan | May 17, 2007 2:44 PM

I agree with c.f. And I agree with Charles that this is exactly the kind of thing I would want to know about someone who's work I admire...

Posted by charles_fan II | May 17, 2007 3:16 PM

These images kinda look like unfinished Roger Dean houses.

If I lived in a Roger Dean house I'd listen to prog rock all day long.

Posted by Mr_Friendly | May 17, 2007 3:29 PM

charles, i just saw casebere's show "the levant" when i was in nyc the other week--all photos of the region. the mosque photos are pretty incredible, though i especially love the photos of his meticulously detailed (hanging laundry!)and lit models of apartments. i have no idea who this burial is, but now i want to listen to him too.

Posted by angela garbes | May 17, 2007 3:35 PM

Those are pretty pictures, but Burial doesn't seem all that interesting to me. Maybe he's just not as deep as you, Charles.

Posted by Nuni | May 17, 2007 5:24 PM

Charles is a genius. Though I'm concerned about Burial's inability to use proper capitalization.

Posted by Boomer in NYC | May 17, 2007 7:01 PM
Posted by DCM | May 18, 2007 1:43 PM

Charles, that was a good post.

Posted by charles_fan III | May 20, 2007 10:17 AM