Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« "This is a real war on women, ... | The Morning News »

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Can I Get A Witness?

posted by on May 24 at 22:19 PM

It’s that solicitous woman’s voice every time:

Record your message after the tone. To send a numeric page, press 5. When you are finished recording, hang up, or for delivery options, press pound.

Does anyone not know to record your message after the tone?

Does anyone ever send a “numeric page”?

Does anyone really need more delivery options?

Does anyone want to hear this woman ever again?

RSS icon Comments

do you not know anyone for whom english is a second language?

Posted by small minded jerk | May 24, 2007 10:36 PM

What really bugs me more so is when you dial your own voicemail, put in the password, and are instructed to "press 1 to hear your messages." Couldn't we just assume one wants to hear messages when you call your voicemail?

Posted by Dianna | May 24, 2007 10:47 PM

She's there to waste minutes of cell phone use and no other reason. The longer she can keep you waiting to deliver a voice mail or retrieve your own, the cell phone companies get richer while we get poorer.
Cell phone companies are scumbags.

Posted by CellPhoneScumbags | May 24, 2007 11:43 PM

"and what's the deal with airline food, folks? I mean, really..."

Posted by bing | May 25, 2007 12:42 AM

Seriously, I was thinking this exact same thing earlier today.
And all I wanted was to steal ice cream from someone.
Thank heavens for doggy doors that allow me to gain entry to locked houses...

Posted by Carly D | May 25, 2007 12:42 AM

The irritating message instructions can be turned off by the owner of the voicemail. Call your cell carrier and ask them how to do it with your voicemail. It's different for each one. If everyone took 5 minutes to figure it out, we'd all be happier. Alternately, you can just press # to go straight to the !BEEP! with most voicemail systems.

Also, commenter #2: having to press 1 to listen to your messages is another default setting that you can usually change pretty easily from your voicemail options. Call your cell carrier and ask them how if you can't figure it out.

The moral of the story? It's worth fiddling around with your voicemail options.

Posted by Ariel | May 25, 2007 1:33 AM

Amen. I probably hear more of this woman's voice every day than I do of my own mother's. And "numeric page?" Come on.

Posted by Eric Grandy | May 25, 2007 2:13 AM

Numeric Pages: like text messaging but more complicated and less useful.

Posted by Giffy | May 25, 2007 3:19 AM

Phone companies make you jump through all the delays to use up your limited minutes for profit. Big surprise.

Posted by DUH | May 25, 2007 3:22 AM

"The irritating message instructions can be turned off by the owner of the voicemail. Call your cell carrier and ask them how to do it with your voicemail."

I asked T-Mobile customer service about this a while ago. They said it couldn't be done. They acted like no one had even thought of it before - and why would you want to.

Posted by Phone Guy | May 25, 2007 4:50 AM

Posted by Phone Guy | May 25, 2007 4:50 AM

My father, aged 54, leaves me numeric pages instead of voicemails. I've never known anybody else who uses that option.

Posted by Christin | May 25, 2007 8:11 AM

Hey Ariel,
What phone service do you have, and how did you turn it off. I don't want to deal with my phone company if I don't have to.

Posted by Enigma | May 25, 2007 8:48 AM

i hate her so much. BEYOND unnecessary.

Posted by mike | May 25, 2007 9:40 AM

I *heart* text messaging. None of this silly voice message crap. I really hate having phone conversations.

Posted by monkey | May 25, 2007 9:41 AM

@1: I've lived in other countries, listened to this same message in some other language, waited for the beep and left a message. It's not that complicated. And if someone can't speak English, what good is this message anyway?

I don't get annoyed at much (honestly!) but this message grates on me every time. Especially the ones that don't offer the #/skip to beep option. Grr.

Posted by rachelina | May 25, 2007 9:45 AM

I've often thought someone should find out who that poor woman is and interview her. Perhaps she is a robot.

Posted by BillyCorazon | May 25, 2007 9:45 AM

Hey! That "solicitious woman" is very likely one of my union members! She's just doin' her job, folks, no need to go all Sloggy on her!

Hate on the telco, not the VM lady...

Posted by COMTE | May 25, 2007 9:50 AM

i used to date a woman who had that exact voice. imagine hearing stuff thats all passive aggressive yet gentle saying: "If you wish to clean the dishes do it now." Or "For more sex, press me here." I broke up w/ her in 3 days.

Posted by brad | May 25, 2007 10:14 AM

ehojapzs glrqzse qaplxf kfsoexdq xstizyefc tabznlsje ixvwrkt

Posted by fxsyr jzgamx | June 6, 2007 2:10 PM

eysrcmdkz kyujzsre qcjibzg trapzcoxv gbiruhtf jngxm vdtugqeom http://www.yezsrktxq.yloj.com

Posted by tozn juadkxc | June 6, 2007 2:12 PM