Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on Attack of the Charo!

I was among the caravan of sin that made its way to the casino. My bf won $500 after the show on slots. It was good night overall. Dave, I have a pic to send you of your friend (bf? in the charo's shirt) getting pummeld by the lisping hyper puma herself. I agree about the vocal tracks and the craptacular "synth" stuff. What a ride it would be to see her with a whole philharmonic. Maybe we need another caravan to the city of brotherly love ...

Posted by brad in seattle | April 6, 2007 1:21 PM

This is off-topic, but something I've been meaning to mention to you, David. A few days ago I went to see a film at one of Edinburgh's cinemas, and saw a poster for something billed as "Will Hodgson vs. Top Gun." Will Hodgson is the Perrier Winner from 2004, but generally a sort of underground comedian I guess. But anyway, they are showing Top Gun and he is doing a running commentary throughout. And it turns out there's a group based out of Cardiff called the Bad Film Club, which is sponsoring this event. You can read their self-description at that link, but anyway they've been doing these things since January 2006. Have you heard of them? They seem like newbies to an artform that, as far as I know, you invented.

Posted by Gabriel | April 6, 2007 1:22 PM

if i had to, i could hit that.

i mean, it wouldn't be as bad as shirley stoler in 7 beauties, right?

nothing could be that bad.

Posted by Max Solomon | April 6, 2007 4:10 PM

how old is she, anyway? seems like she's been around since...jeez, i can't remember a charo-less time. she must be at least sixty, right? i've heard she has boundless energy and plays kick-ass guitar.

Posted by ellarosa | April 6, 2007 7:53 PM

She's 56 if you believe Charo, 66 if you believe anyone else. Beware, though, because if you say 66 within earshot she will rip off your head and suck out the marrow. She married Xavier Cugat in 1966, if that's any help.

Posted by Fnarf | April 6, 2007 8:38 PM

I've seen the bad film club a few times and it's pretty funny. When it comes to "They seem like newbies to an artform that, as far as I know, you invented" I'd like to address that and say...

Nobody invented talking over movies

People have been doing it since movies were made.

It's a live show where the audience are invited to involve themselves with the film.

Try it, you might find that you enjoy it.

KT