Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« I Missed My Calling | Bitter Herbs »

Friday, March 30, 2007

You Killed Queen Elizabeth II! You Bastards!

posted by on March 30 at 10:18 AM

southpkqueen460.jpg

The Brits are not amused

The news that an episode of South Park features the Queen committing suicide is provoking a blizzard of outrage in certain sections of the British media. In the episode, already broadcast in the US and entitled The Snuke, an animated Elizabeth II fatally shoots herself in the mouth after her attempt to overthrown the American government fails. Most commentators have been unanimous in declaring that South Park has gone too far this time. Leaving the rest of us unanimous in concluding that the same commentators can’t be too familiar with South Park.

Don’t the Brits have better things to worry about right now?

RSS icon Comments

Why is South Park still on? It went from amusing to annoying and tedious years ago, when their creativity was drained and they decided to just do predictable, formulaically filthy roasts of whatever Hollywood celebrity annoyed them that week.

Posted by tsm | March 30, 2007 10:39 AM

The hell you say, tsm, the hell you say!

Southpark continues to tell us all, right, left, and everyone in between, that we take ourselves WAAAAAAAAY too seriously.

Southpark keeps me grounded. I *heart* Matt and Trey!!!

Posted by monkey | March 30, 2007 10:42 AM

The Brits are comming the Brits are comming! LOL.

Posted by DreadLion | March 30, 2007 10:46 AM

I am often amazed that there isn't more anger from some of the targets of Matt & Trey's satire, but I still thin the show is as funny as it ever has been, and this week's episode was great.

Posted by elswinger | March 30, 2007 10:48 AM

Most Brits have no love for their Royals, not even the Queen Bitch, but really do not like to hear it coming from others. Still, I imagine the percentage of Brits who would be offended by this is pretty small, and limited mostly to readers of The Daily Mail. The Brits I know would have liked a chance to help the fat old fuckpig to pull the trigger.

It's mostly Americans who idolize the Queen. There's three or four expensive glossy monthly magazines about royals, produced for the American market, not the British.

Posted by Fnarf | March 30, 2007 10:59 AM

I saw this episode last night....I love this line:

"You see, my bigotry actually saved the day!"

LOL!

Posted by Monique | March 30, 2007 11:11 AM

What? We don't like the Queen. And South Park aren't actually gonna, y'know, shoot the three dimensional queen.

Show of hands, brits, how many of us even know more than two lines of the national anthem?

Posted by Rebecca | March 30, 2007 11:57 AM

@ Rebacca.

Our anthem or their's? Okay that was a low blow.

So the Brits are upset about the Queen killing herself and NOT upset about the thought of taking over the United States. Hmmm. I am missing something there.

Posted by Andrew | March 30, 2007 12:45 PM

can't you just see princess di doing LOL jokes via IM - up there - with Dodi?

i'm just sayin'.

Posted by britney | March 30, 2007 1:20 PM

I'll give SouthPark this much, their likeness of the Queen is spot on, even her tiara and medals are exactly correct. Her sash however, should be cornflower blue not purple.

Gotta their admire accuracy which is better than some costume dramas I've seen.

Hillary's "thunder thighs" were perfect too.

Posted by ATLSEA | March 30, 2007 1:25 PM

I don't recall the Brits up in arms after the episode of SP that showed Princess Di in Hell.

Posted by elswinger | March 30, 2007 1:36 PM

It's not that they killed the Queen. It's that they showed her killing herself.

Unlike our Prince of Darkness, she's tough - her husband, son, and grandsons have all served in combat units at risk of their own lives with no special favors.

She would NEVER off herself.

That's why they're offended.

And I don't blame them.

Posted by Will in Seattle | March 30, 2007 2:21 PM

Since I wasn't even aware of this until I read it here it can't have cause that much of a storm over here, I read 3 newspapers and watch the news at least twice a day and I manage to completely miss it. I'm guessing that the sort of people who are getting offended about it read the sort of newspaper you couldn't pay me to read.

I know people with many different views on the royal family, but none that would be offended by this any more than they might be offended by any episode of South Park.

Posted by Kittty | March 30, 2007 4:01 PM

you might get off on thinking we're offended but we love south park. even daily mail (evil right wing paper) commenters were amused. contrary to the guardian's report, i haven't seen one commentator who objected.

Loving your work.

Posted by london guy | March 30, 2007 4:43 PM

They must think that Americans give a shit about queens and stuff. Silly Brits, Monarchs are for pussies!

Posted by Nathan | March 30, 2007 6:06 PM

The most offensive thing about SP is that its not fucking funny

Posted by dd | April 1, 2007 4:03 PM