Slog News & Arts

Music & Nightlife

« What Would Bill Cumming Do? | Today the Stranger Suggests »

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Voice of America?

posted by on March 22 at 13:50 PM

newslead-220.jpg

My story on Pastor Ken Hutcherson, international man of mysterious titles, is out in this week’s Stranger. You can read it here, and read the blog posts it was built on here, here, here, here, and here.

The reaction so far:

To: Eli Sanders and David Postman

Subject: PRAISE GOD FOR PASTOR HUTCH

It is amazing how you guys spend so much time trying to humiliate Pastor Hutcherson because he has decided to STAND on the word of God. But if you would actually take the time to read and study the Bible you will find out what God’s word say about homosexuality. Obviously you guys have been convicted by something that Pastor Hutcherson has said, so instead of repenting you continue to attack him and the work that God has called him to do. When are you guys going to wake up and speak the truth? It’s never too late to ask God for forgiveness. I am honored to be apart of Antioch Bible Church because God has called us to make a difference. I will keep you guys in my prayers.

God Bless You,

Linda

“How much do you Love and Trust God”

To: Eli Sanders

Subject: your latest article

Dear Eli –

Don’t know you at all, only know what you post and the stories that you write – but, we’ll be praying for you! It’s the only response I have for your vendetta against a man who actually believes in absolutes and in the inerrancy of God’s Word, Pastor Ken Hutcherson! I guess it brings in the advertising bucks to tell such lies about someone who tries to stand for righteousness, but just know we’ll pray that you will one day surrender your life to Jesus Christ and allow Him to rule in your life.

Sincerely,

David

RSS icon Comments

I am also honored to be apart of Antioch Church (although "apart from" makes more sense).

Posted by Levislade | March 22, 2007 2:04 PM

Good GOD!! These freakin' Christians!!! Their pastor is a LIAR (See the 10 Commandments) and they still have audacity to write those letters. It just goes to show you that Christianity is just another cult with people who simply have been brain washed.

Posted by Andrew | March 22, 2007 2:07 PM

Noticeably, neither of these apparently quite sincere responders provide any facts to dispute the article, they merely mouth ignorant opinions about what they THINK the bible says.

Perhaps they should go back and take another look at Genesis, Leviticus, Romans, et al, and not only read the relevent passages, but THINK about the times, situations, and contexts in which they were written. Maybe then, they'd be taken just a tad more seriously, rather than being dismissed for the ignorant lemmings the make themselves out to be.

Posted by COMTE | March 22, 2007 2:10 PM

Why do Evangelicals have this persecution fetish?

Posted by mikeoutwest | March 22, 2007 2:11 PM

Eli. Please. No conversions to christ. Please. Stay with us, your non-believing atheist jewish homo brothers and sisters.

Posted by Jonathan | March 22, 2007 2:12 PM

Does that second one actually thing you guys make big bucks off of Hutch?

Posted by vooodooo84 | March 22, 2007 2:15 PM

My mom wrote Eli a letter?

Posted by monkey | March 22, 2007 2:22 PM

And who cares what the bible says? Why is that the be-all and end-all of every discussion for these pea-brains. The bible says a lot of stupid shit but I notice they are very selective about what they choose to believe. Wonder what Hutch thinks about how the bible says you should treat your slaves.

Posted by In Jesus' Name | March 22, 2007 2:35 PM

To: Eli Sanders

Subject: your latest article

Dear Eli –

Don’t know you at all, but I came across your article in the Stranger when I was looking at the escort ads in the back; Lord knows I never read any of the smut that you people write – but, we’ll be praying for you!

Sincerely,

David

Posted by RS | March 22, 2007 2:40 PM

these people need to put down the prayer book and pick up a copy of On Writing Well. and maybe Argumentation and Debate.

Posted by gforce | March 22, 2007 2:43 PM

I too believe in the unerring word of G-d. I just don't think Hutch is smart enough to understand it.

Posted by Gitai | March 22, 2007 2:43 PM

I guess these people were asleep when their pastor talk about atheists. Pray all you want people.....and while you are at it, stick to your own "rulebook" and regulate within your own body[church]. What goes on outside that body is none of your concern and you are specifically instructed by your "apostle" Paul to stay out of anything that has nothing to do with your "church/body". You are no better than the "heathens" in the Temple that Christ threw a hissy fit and turned over their tables and threw them out. Pray all you want for us non-believers but play by your own rules. Idiots don't even know their own stupid rulebook. Classic.

Posted by matthew | March 22, 2007 2:45 PM

If they want to get all mad and indignant (and illiterate), why not get pissed at Bush, the head of God's Own Party? It is the White House that is denying that Hutch is a Special Envoy of homo hating or some such.

Posted by SDA in SEA | March 22, 2007 2:55 PM

11 - almost racist - course you did not mean to imply that Black Pastors are stupid -- now did you.

I think he is a smart cookie, not formal degrees.

As much as I hate his homophobia.

Posted by Cicedro Smith | March 22, 2007 2:55 PM

Please tell these "God's word" people to check out the chapters and verses in Leviticus that demand death for those that have eaten shellfish, worked on the Sabbath or committed the abomination of mixing cotton and silk.

Would they kindly report to our village square, Westlake Center, to be stoned to death asap?

Posted by Original Andrew | March 22, 2007 2:59 PM

Hutch isn't stupid because he's a black man. He's stupid because he's a stupid man. I think YOU'RE racist for assuming that that reasoning even crossed Gitai's mind.

I too believe in the Inerrant Bible. Jonah was swallowed by an actual whale, Moses parted the Red Sea, and Noah gathered all two million animal species (because of course none could have evolved since then) on his boat, including the million insect species, including all 120,000 known species of flies, and of course the two-to-fifty million species that are still unknown to science, all times two, of course, even though not all species mate that way, and saved the whole freaking lot of them from a big flood that covered the earth, no matter minor details like where the water came from to cover the earth as high as Mt. Everest, or where it went afterwards, and then ran aground on Ararat after the waters, uh, receded, and all those species immediately hightailed it for the territories, including the 200+ marsupials in Australia. You'd have to be a damn fool not to believe all that.

I know there's also a perfectly rational explanation in the Bible for the presence of at least twenty consecutive layers of decomposed forest, one on top of the other, underneath Yellowstone Park, that doesn't involve any of that cockamamie secular-heathenist old-earth nonsense. I don't know what that explanation is, but I'm sure Hutch does.

My belief is that all the evidence for evolution and the extreme age of the earth, along with our false memories, were placed here by God recently, possibly as recently as an hour ago, in order to trick us. He's a sneaky old bastard, God us. Inerrant, but kind of mean, you know?

Posted by Fnarf | March 22, 2007 3:13 PM

I just re-read those letters. And it just gets me so angry. The "we will pray for you" BS it the most condescending phrase anyone can spit at someone. In college they told me that when I came out.

Anytime someone says they will pray for you it simply is the "nice" way of saying you will burn in hell.

Posted by Andrew | March 22, 2007 3:19 PM

Fnarf: Best. Post. Ever.

Posted by Dee in SF | March 22, 2007 3:21 PM

I forgot who said it, but it's pointless to argue with people who believe in a god. These people are basically insane.

Posted by Mattro2.0 | March 22, 2007 3:28 PM

"...believes in absolutes and in the inerrancy of God’s Word..."

Please select one of the following...

Genesis 2:19
"So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh. Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man..."

OR

Genesis 1:27

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them."

Both are absolute truth, even the parts that disagree.

Posted by golob | March 22, 2007 3:40 PM

Let me clarify that I would say that anyone who preaches hate is too goddamn stupid to understand the unerring word of G-d, no matter what their race. And while I do believe the word of G-d is unerring, that doesn't mean I'm not going to use my G-d given faculties to also recognize that what we've got in Genesis is metaphor, and the remainder is a mix of history and poetry, true, even if not literally so.

Posted by Gitai | March 22, 2007 3:47 PM

@16:

Fnarf, that there is some Grade-A snark.

Posted by Tlazolteotl | March 22, 2007 3:57 PM

I *heart* Fnarf!

Posted by monkey | March 22, 2007 4:04 PM

Thank you. I have absolutely no problem at all with religion or religious belief or believers, but the biblical-inerrancy crowd get my back up a little. I'm not too keen on the spiritual side of things, either; most "spirituality" sounds to my ears like excuse-making, glory-coveting, or just kind of soft-brain anthropomorphing, but the quest for understanding is perfectly admirable.

Posted by Fnarf | March 22, 2007 4:05 PM

What's the deal with not being able to spell out the word "god?" The bible itself does.

Posted by Paulus | March 22, 2007 4:21 PM

e-mail from babyjesus:

ya'll make me cry.
thats what i do, as i am a baby.

i soil myself, and coo & smell like sour milk, my hand eye coordination sucks, i like boobies and clowns scare the be-"me" outta me.

anywho--hutch loves himself, his sheeple love him; me, well i could care less as i would rather watch a purple dinosaur or fuzzy puppets do inane things, you know baby stuff.

babyjesus peace out

Posted by babyjesus@heaven.com | March 22, 2007 4:37 PM

@25: in some religions, it's the word that can't be spoken - or spelled out.

@20: maybe God is a shemale?

Posted by him | March 22, 2007 4:38 PM

Pray for you - isn't that like being cursed?

And I'm pretty sure heaven has a .org domain.

Posted by Noink | March 22, 2007 4:55 PM

@21.

"And while I do believe the word of G-d is unerring, that doesn't mean I'm not going to use my G-d given faculties to also recognize that what we've got in Genesis is metaphor, and the remainder is a mix of history and poetry, true, even if not literally so."

I can accept and even respect this sentiment. I'm sincerely sorry if my comment offensive to you.

It's the concept of unerring interpretation of literal truth from the bible (or any religious text) that I find utterly revolting. Nothing in real world can be unerring or perfectly observed and recorded.

Posted by golob | March 22, 2007 4:59 PM

"Nothing in real world can be unerring or perfectly observed and recorded."*

*Except for Rapture by Blondie, of course.

Posted by Original Andrew | March 22, 2007 5:20 PM

I tell you what. When I surrended my life to Christ, He did a helluva lot better job running the show. I'm sorry some letterwriters got Him on a bad day, and I pray for them.

Posted by horat!osanzser!f | March 22, 2007 6:05 PM

Sounds to me like Linda and David are worshipping lil' Kenny. I'd be careful if I were them, I understand their invisible sky spirit frowns on that sort of thing.

Posted by dantc | March 22, 2007 7:27 PM

These self defined "Christians" fail to grasp that we live in America, not Iran or Afghanistan or some such religiously badkward nation. Our government is based on the rule of law, law established NOT by "God", but established by men/women some gay some str8. So LISTEN UP you self described followers of the Jewish Messiah, Don't push us to succomb to your over lordship. As Jesus said you better start 'living peacably with people' the peace makers are blessed, not those looking for a fight. Should you foolishly choose to do battle with us and, we will defend ourselves. Now go out and do as Jesus COMMANDED be fishers of men; and NOT hunters of witches.

Posted by Sargon Bighorn | March 22, 2007 7:33 PM

The photo of Pastor Ken Hutcherson featured with this blog entry makes me want to get on my knees.

I wonder what his length and girth is. Anyone know? Besides The Lord, that is.

Posted by doctiloquus | March 23, 2007 1:43 AM

Noink @28

"And I'm pretty sure heaven has a .org domain."

Nope, common misconception though. You see we never had non-profit(prophet--maybe...but still debated by some) status. How do you think we got the gold streets, and the celestial mobiles over my crib? We've had Pay-Pal for eons now, though our tech-service has been a bit wonky ever since we outsourced to India.

sorry for being fussy with you, i've been a bit colicky lately...

Baby Jesus waiting 4 his Bong hits

Posted by babyjesus@heaven.com | March 23, 2007 4:12 AM

I have zero problems with faith as I grew up in the Christian faith. I don't practice it now but most of my beliefs are still currently in tact. I know “Hutch”, as he's referred to, and I can tell you that his crusade is more then just about God or the Bible; this is personal. I remember when I attended Overlake Christian Church in the 90's and how he went after Bob Moorehead, senior pastor there when he was accused of sexual misconduct. He has zero remorse even for his own fellow pastors but secretly, he obliterated Bob rather then being a friend and attempting to help him; that was never in the news by the way.

Regardless, I don't believe his crusade against "Mo's" will be successful. Seattle is liberal city and we'll continue to vote that way. The problem with pastors who initiate these crusades is those who speak out against a topic once in a “blue moon” is one thing but when it’s of this magnitude, it usually means they have something they are dealing with personally and they are acting out in defiance of what they’re fighting internally. Bob Moorehead was a huge advocate against many social topics such as abortion but homosexuality was his BIGGEST and yet, what was he accused of doing that brought him to his knees? Try sexual misconduct with men that were members of the church. So, while Hutch continues to attach the gay community and the gay community and others who support them fight back, consider attacking on a different playing field because the man probably has an issue with dealing with homosexuality and doesn’t want to face it. Also, the longer we give light to “Hutch” and his crusade, the most focus the media will be on him. I’m tired of hearing about Pat Robertson and his bizarre, self-aware ideologies and how God told him about something when I doubt very much the man hears from God at all. Jerry Falwell is another one of these attention getters. They keep doing it because people keep listening to their garbage. Let’s do us all a favor and shut them down.

Oh and by the way, I used “Mo” only because I am one :-)

Posted by Leo | March 23, 2007 10:11 AM

Doctiloquus, I am sure that there are plenty of parishioners at Antioch who know what the lenght and girth of Hutcherson's johnson is from their own experiences. The reason for Hutcherson's rampant homophobia is just a lame cover for his "on the down low" behavior. Remember that pastor a few years back from Overlake Christian??? It was the same story then and it's the same story now. I wouldn't be surprised if that asshole over at Mars Hill doesn't have himself a private little A&F circle jerk group he "prays" with on a regular basis with a little "taste testing" thrown in. All of these evangelical preachers are cut from the same cloth. Oh gee, Ted Haggard anyone!

Posted by Kitty | March 23, 2007 11:23 AM