Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on The Faux Amour of the Academy Awards

Wait, Stephen Colbert didn't invent the word "frenemies"?

Posted by Fnarf | March 1, 2007 3:52 PM

it's from sex in the city

Posted by michael strangeways | March 1, 2007 4:17 PM

I learned "frenimies" from Defamer.com, specifically referring to Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie.

Posted by monkey | March 1, 2007 4:38 PM

Donnersmarck went out of his way to hug Guillermo Del Toro on his way to pick up the award. They were seated a couple rows apart.

Posted by Nat | March 1, 2007 4:42 PM

well, as donnersmarck said himself, "[In reality,] [t]here are mixed motives; every villain has a good side, and every good person..."

Posted by infrequent | March 1, 2007 4:47 PM

Note to Donnersmarck:

Never do press interviews.

Posted by Laurence Ballard | March 1, 2007 7:35 PM

I have to say, I loved both movies, but I did find the violence in Pan's Labyrinth that he mentions (the torture scene in particular) very disturbing, and quite gratuitous. It wouldn't be my ONLY comment about the film, because I thought there was something stunning and unforgettable about it, but I have to say, I agree with what he says here, and I don't think it's all that mean-spirited.

Posted by JMW | March 1, 2007 9:01 PM

In case you didn't notice, I HAD to say those things. It's late here. Forgive me.

Posted by JMW | March 1, 2007 9:02 PM

I liked both movies, and I agree that I don't think the comments in the interview seem mean spirited either. It speaks to the difference between the two movies. Pan's is seeming to have more appeal to American audiences. It's interesting to think about why that is.

It seems kind of obvious Donnersmark wouldn't really like Del Toro's film, it's not his style. It's okay to have a preference, especially as an artist, it's pretty essential. The stuff he said in the interview just let us in on that.

Posted by Emmakat | March 2, 2007 12:59 AM

I've read quite a bit about the Spanish Civil War, and spent some time in Spain speaking with people who lived through it. By most accounts, the Franco supporters were bigoted, uneducated and cruel to the point of sadism. And the people who survived that madness are deeply scared by the atrocities they witnessed. I liked Pan's Labyrinth, and was quite riveted by the imagery, but if anything it wasn't violent enough. The fantasy element serves to mitigate what was, by all accounts, a grotesquely violent moment in the history of Europe.

Posted by Gurldoggie | March 2, 2007 9:36 AM