Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on Now That's Corporate Support for Living Artists

Do you really think stranger readers are interested in quality art? Your efforts are to be commended, but would probably receive a more appreciative audience in another publication. Can you believe SOIL started in that dank sloping garage? or were they even more 'underground' before that?

Posted by daniel | March 28, 2007 6:55 PM

aaaarrrrrggggh, me maties, now that's what me be callin' by the name of fine art, though they could be usin' a few more wenches in 'em.

I guess the gallery has such a small budget because they don't typically deal in such chefs d'oeuvre.

The crabber painting is so atmospheric I can't stop scratching myself. One can only imagine how much of a problem crabs were among those swarthy seamen of youre cooped up on the same small boat together for weeks on end.

Posted by kinaidos | March 28, 2007 8:35 PM

awww soil shmoil

Posted by something else | March 28, 2007 10:21 PM

@1
Nice to see someone with such a pitiful grasp of the Seattle art scene willing to give such a useful opinion.
"Can you believe SOIL started in that dank sloping garage?"
dingbat

Posted by Outatowner | March 28, 2007 10:31 PM

Good for SOIL. As a former member and proponent of Seattle artists, I'm glad to see some recognition for a fantastic, if sometimes flawed, emerging artist org. Some great artists have been members of SOIL, and I'm sure that that will continue.
I don't know if they started there, but my first association with SOIL was at the location on the Harbour steps. After that, they moved to a small, basement space in Pioneer Square. It was only after that that we moved to "that dank sloping garage" on Cap. Hill, @1. Just FYI.
I'm hoping that this donation will help, in some small way, SOIL to stay around for years to come.
ps- RHSC still lives.

Posted by getout | March 29, 2007 7:13 AM

RHSC lives? Is it back?

Posted by someone | March 29, 2007 8:59 AM

It lives in spirit. If it lives on in actuality is up those on the Eastern side (from my perspective) of the Pacific Ocean.
In my heart, it has never died.

Posted by getout | March 29, 2007 10:17 AM

tax advantages assumed, still, what a grand gesture by the safeco curator(s). soil has had its ups and downs, but overall it continues to be a major resource for emerging talent. i think the decision to auction both represents a fantastic trade for the public at large and also presents more evidence that the idea that artists need to be dead before their work gathers financial steam is a dying investment philosophy.

Posted by m. | March 30, 2007 1:17 PM