Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Opening Day: Animated and Para... | My Smobriety: One Year Out »

Monday, January 8, 2007

Planning on Heading Up to Stevens Pass to Ride All That Fresh Powder?

posted by on January 8 at 14:07 PM

Uh… time to make other plans.

Stevens Pass Suspends Operations 4 pm Mon. - Tues. Jan. 9

SKYKOMISH, Wash. (January 8, 2007) Strong winds coupled with a powerful winter storm disrupted power to much of Chelan County and the Central Cascade corridor, including Stevens Pass, at approximately 3:00 p.m. Sunday January 7, 2007. Due to the current power outage, Stevens Pass will suspend resort operations from 4:00 p.m. Monday evening through Tuesday January 9, 2007…. Guests are encouraged to check for current updates and operating schedules.

RSS icon Comments

That whole area had a rough go of it this weekend. My friends and I tried to go tackle a few trails with our snowshoes saturday morning but numerous downed trees (some wrapped in live power lines) blocked several forest service roads all along highway 2 between skykomish and the pass. Skykomish itself was without power.

Posted by charles | January 8, 2007 2:21 PM

I was there on Sunday - left at noon after about 3 hours of slogging down hills of punishing Cascade Concrete, as I hear it's called. It *looked* like nice snow and there sure was a ton of it, but it was about as heavy as frozen sand... quite an experience. Add in whiteout conditions and you've got yourself a day of survival snowboarding. It was fun in a grim sort of way.

Posted by Ari | January 8, 2007 3:23 PM

Posted by Lumpy | January 8, 2007 3:38 PM

Damnit! Maybe they'll be back up by this weekend... :P

Posted by L | January 8, 2007 6:11 PM

Thursday and Friday were the days to "ride Steven's backside" (I feel very gay whenever I say that).

Sounds like no more powder dumps for a while. :-(

Posted by Sean | January 8, 2007 9:33 PM

Just in case you weren't aware of Rick Santorum's new antics, I think you better read this....and wonder if you are on the list along with the rest of gay America (like me).....

Posted by Joseph Sabol | January 9, 2007 9:46 AM