Politics Not Everyone Intends to Maintain a Respectul Silence About the Contents of Mary Cheney’s Uterus
posted by December 8 at 11:47 AMon
Dr. Paul Cameron, the rabidly anti-gay head of the Family Research Institute, intends to insert himself into Mary Cheney’s uterus. It’s quite a press release. Here’s the whole thing with my footnotes at the end:
COLORADO SPRINGS, Dec. 8, Christian NewswireMary Cheney, the Vice President’s unmarried daughter,1 is expecting. Dr. Paul Cameron, Chairman of the Family Research Institute, a Colorado Springs think-tank, condemned her decision:
“Unmarried women should not deliberately have children.2 Their children are more apt to experience privation and disruption.3 Consequently, such children are more apt to do poorly in school, disrupt society (e.g., engage in criminality), and be personally troubled.4 These wrongs are compounded when the child is brought into a homosexual setting.
“By this selfish action, Cheney is not merely disrupting society,5 she is being cruel to her child:
â˘ Mary, 37, is currently ‘partnered’ with Heather Poe, 45. The median age of death for lesbians is around the late 50s.6 If Poe and Cheney stay together, odds are this child will lose at least one caretaker before graduating high school.
â˘ Children of homosexuals testify that day-to-day living is more difficult7and they are more apt to report personal disturbance as a consequence.
â˘ A high proportion of lesbian ‘partnerings’ break apart8with custody issues haunting the child for the rest of his life.
â˘ The child will disproportionately associate with homosexualswho are as a class considerably more apt to have STDs and a criminal history, be interested in sex with children, involved in substance abuse, etc.9
â˘ The child will have a much higher probability of learning homosexual tastes (at least a third of lesbian’s children adopt homosexuality).10
“Her pregnancy is further evidence that participation in homosexual activity distorts value systems, inducing practitioners to harm the commonweal. Our society already has too many children born without the benefits of marriage;11 Cheney’s action is not only a bad example, but poor treatment of an innocent child.”
1. Mary Cheney has been with Heather Poe for 15 years. They would marry if they could marry, but they can’t marry. It’s kind of disingenuous for opponents of gay marriage to hold Cheney’s unmarried state against her.
2. Would it be better if Mary Cheney, like so many straight women, got pregnant by accident? The very deliberateness that is required before a same-sex couple can start a family is one of the advantages our children enjoy. All children born to or adopted by same-sex couples are wanted children. My boyfriend and I did not get drunk and adopt one night; it’s highly unlikely that Mary Cheney and Heather Poe got pregnant as the result of a broken condom.
3. Proof? Or does just saying it make it so? And I hardly think that any child born to Mary Cheney and Heather Poethe very picture of wealthy lesbianswill experience “privation” of any sort.
4. Again, proof? Where are the studies that show dyke-raised kids rob banks at higher rates than, say, red-state kids? I’m fairly certain none existoutside of Cameron’s ass, which is where he pulls most of his “facts” from.
5. Cheney is “disrupting society”? How exactly did she manage to do that?
6. Cite? Study? Proof? Data? Cameron is infamous for touting studies that “prove” that gay men have the life expectancies of, well, fruit flies. But this is the first I’ve heard of lesbians having shortened life spans. Is it the lack of makeup? More exposure to the sun’s harmful rays on golf courses? The backs of their mullets getting caught in factory machinery?
7. Yes, the children of homosexuals face certain difficultiesbecause of haters like Cameron and the fundie fools who keep him in business. It’s a neat trick: I make your life miserable, I make the world an inhospitable place for you, I stoke anti-gay hate and fearand then when you wanna have kids I point out that you’re being selfish because, hey, some people are mean to homosexuals. Really, Paul. Tell us all about it. I wonder if Nazis felt Jews shouldn’t have children for the very same reason. “Hey, you don’t want your kids to have to wear these tacky gold stars, do you?”
8. Yeah, those lesbian relationshipsso unstable. Unlike heterosexual relationships. No child of a heterosexual couple has had to endure the end of his parent’s marriage and “custody issues… for the rest of his life.” (I’m sure there are legit studies out there that show the exact opposite of Paul’s assertion herethat lesbian relationships are more stable, and more monogamous, than straight relationshipsand if I have a little time later today, I’ll go dig ‘em up. Anyone with some time on their hands is welcome to post cites in the comments, and I’ll add them to this post.)
9. Yes, homosexualsmale onestend to have higher rates of STIs. But lesbians have lower rates of STIs. By Paul’s logic, the children of heterosexuals should be taken from their homes and placed with lesbian couples to protect them from contracting STIs. As for substance abuse, guilty. Homos tend to abuse substances at higher ratesbut that’s an affliction more commonly found in unhappy, closeted, poorly adjusted homos. And, again, why are so many homos so miserable? Because of people like Paul. If Paul wants to see less dysfunction in the gay and lesbian community, he should stop persecuting gays and lesbians. And Mary and Heather certainly aren’t closeted and seem, despite everything, pretty well-adjusted. They’re unlikely to be drunks or meth addicts. As for criminal history? Cite, Paul? And as for sex with children, according to the FBI straight men are the biggest risk when it comes to child molestation. So we’re back to taking kids from heterosexuals and giving them to dykes to raise.
10. No, no. Numerous studieswill add links ASAPhave shown that the children of gays and lesbians are no more likely to be gay or lesbian when they grow up than are the children of heterosexuals. As for other “homosexual tastes,” I tried like hell to instill a taste for musical theater in my son. To no avail. He’s all about Common Market, Green Day, and Slayer. If anything, my son has instilled heterosexual tastes in his father. Repeated listening have instilled an appreciation for Green Day in me, I’ve taken up snowboarding, and my son taught me how to throw a football correctly.
11. Oh, that’s hilarious. Our society already has too many children born without the benefits of marriageI couldn’t agree more, Paul. So let Mary and Heather get married. Let me and my boyfriend get married. There are millions of children in the United States being raised by same-sex couplesif you want more children to enjoy the benefits of marriage, let more children’s parents marry. But don’t deny us the right to marry and then fault us for failing to marry.
Okay, Slog readers, a challenge: Friday is our crunch day for the paper. I would like to spend the day tracking down cites for my rebuttals, but I can’t. If anyone out there cares to do a little leg work for me, and put links in the comments, I’ll come back in a bit and amend this post. Am I slacking? Perhaps. But I prefer to think of this as a little Wiki-style entry.