Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Danny Westneat Has Balls | Another Charmer from the New Y... »

Friday, October 27, 2006

Selling Obama

posted by on October 27 at 9:24 AM

Leaving the Barack Obama book talk last night, I noticed a burly white guy loudly hawking buttons on the side walk. I wandered up to get a better look, risking my hearing in the process. Some of the buttons, $5 a piece, promoted Obama for pres. Others said Superbama and featured, I think (bad photo quality), him in a cape. A couple of middle-aged black women came up and asked the man where the profits were going. He said, “DNC gets a portion.” They nodded and made a purchase. When I asked, a few minutes later, who was getting the money, the man said boastfully, “I am!” I said: “So what do you think you’ll take home tonight?” He hooked me around the neck with his arm, and, pulling me into his belly said, “Hopefully you. I love braces!” I escaped.

Anyway. Obama clearly has star power and the entrepreneurs have already caught on. Capitalism at work. At the very least, Obama will sell a lot of books.

RSS icon Comments

Angela, what did you think of Obama's talk?

Posted by question | October 27, 2006 9:36 AM

It wasn't exactly electrifying. But he's certainly smart, Clintonian a little. I must admit I was mostly paying attention to his adoring crowd.

Posted by Angela Valdez | October 27, 2006 9:47 AM

you were braces? That's hot.

Posted by Mike in MO | October 27, 2006 10:05 AM

Cool, I felt similarly, although I was lucky enough to be in the front row and could focus on Obama more than the crowd. The crowd was definitely a showstopper...it was not just enthusiastic, but truly diverse in terms of age, gender, and ethnicity.

Posted by Question | October 27, 2006 10:18 AM

When I lived in Chicago, I actually had the privlege of voting for the guy--and will do it again whenever possible.

And often ('cause that's what being from Chicago is all about)

Posted by Boomer | October 27, 2006 10:24 AM

Question. Can any of the Obama fans out there name one courageous position he has taken or one innovative, cutting-edge proposal he has made?

There is his early opposition to the Iraq War, although one can debate just how courageous that position was considering he took it while in the safe confines of his Illinois legislative district.

Posted by cressona | October 27, 2006 10:51 AM